Customer Service and Sales Coordinator
Reports to Manager, Sales Operations
Who is Canadian Science Publishing?
Canadian Science Publishing (CSP) is Canada’s independent, not-for-profit leader in mobilizing science-based knowledge, making it easy to discover, use, and share. Our origins date back to 1929, when the National Research Council of Canada launched the Canadian Journal of Research. Today,
Canadian Science Publishing has grown to become Canada’s largest publisher of international scientific journals. Learn about our history.
We publish 22 journals that cover the spectrum of natural and physical sciences and engineering, including three open access journals that are interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary. Learn more about our journals
As a mission-driven organization, we are dedicated to meeting the needs of the global research community. The scholarly publishing industry is going through a new and exciting period of transformation as we search for solutions to create a sustainable and equitable open access model.
This year is a transitional year for CSP as we devote our attention to developing our next five-year
Strategic Plan for 2023–2027.
These next five years will be critical to our success. As we prepare the company for this next chapter, we are looking for a candidate to help us meet the needs of the organization and drive the company forward. We are looking for someone to learn with us and who is empowered by change. We are a small, but mighty, company with just over 50 employees with a work culture strongly centred on collaboration and teamwork.
We offer an attractive compensation and benefit program with the opportunity to work a flexible schedule. We also offer a flexible hybrid working model where you can work in the office or work from home. It is not required for you to reside in the Ottawa area. Health, safety, and wellbeing are top of mind for us in supporting safe office environments. As part of this approach, a vaccination policy has been implemented requiring all eligible employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work in the office or travel for company-related events.
Canadian Science Publishing welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We pledge to help build a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive culture in science publishing: a culture where everyone is safe, and everyone can contribute to and benefit from scientific knowledge. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and equitable culture that welcomes everyone, values diversity, and engages in continuous reflection and improvement to fulfill this commitment.
Reporting to the Manager of Sales Operations, the Customer Service and Sales Coordinator (CSSC) acts as the first point of contact for all in-bound inquiries, resolves and/or defers queries, interacts with vendors, responds to product inquiries, interfaces with the subscription management applications, assists with daily and monthly financial reconciliation efforts, processes web orders and administers client access to content. The CSSC supports sales efforts for the sales and business development manager and CSP’s sales agent partners in setting up trials, providing usage reports, creating sales reports and territory analysis and assists with the distribution of sales collateral through various channels. The CSSC is one of nine positions in the Business Development &
Strategy Group and has no direct reports.
Location: Canadian Science Publishing
1840 Woodward Drive, Suite 1
Ottawa, Ontario K2C 0P7
1. Triages and/or resolves by personal follow-up all subscriptions, product, and purchasing issues with clients, ensuring resolution and customer satisfaction.
2. Liaises with Subscription Management Vendor, distributor, warehouse, and with CSP Finance, and CSP IT, providing support and ensuring effective service to Canadian Science Publishing.
3. Responds appropriately and efficiently to all product inquiries, nurturing client relationships and identifying clients’ needs. Directing general enquiries to the appropriate audience if not immediately resolved.
4. Site administrator for subscription management tool (e.g., modify customer records as needed, add society addresses, administer access rights to reports) and web host administration interface
(e.g., adding IP addresses or usernames/passwords as required).
5. Processes orders received through CSP’s website by inputting them into CSP’s order processing software and reconciling payments.
6. Assists CSP’s finance team with the monthly and daily reconciliation of payments and orders.
7. Manages the “corporate social responsibility” relationship CSP has with Research4Life.
8. Assists in the maintenance of client electronic access to content.
9. Manages sales offers and content slices for access control, provides internal support for financial reporting (e.g., PPV and access), and IT where required.
10. Assists the sales team with conference preparations, uploading booth attendee lists post conference etc.
11. May take direction from the other managers in the Business Group and supports the highly collaborative and teamwork approach in the group.
12. Supports the network of sales agents by providing usage reports, distributing sales materials, and setting up and monitoring trials.
13. Supports the BD team by providing subscription analysis and non-renewed reports by Agent territory.
14. Assist in formulating business rules for database management and ensure they are followed.
15. Coordinate shipping needs as required by various teams.
16. Other tasks or projects as required.
- An undergraduate degree in a related field, or an acceptable combination of education, training and relevant experience.
- Customer service management experience, possessing excellent customer service skills (tact, diplomacy, discretion, and a positive attitude).
Skills - Excellence in vendor and reseller/agent support experience
- Proficiency with MS office software programs (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Demonstrated ability to query databases, analyze large and complex datasets and synthesize and report on findings and trends.
-Demonstrated technical proficiency in customer relationship management systems (CRMs like Hubspot, Salesforce etc.)
-Proven ability to work independently with customer service problem resolution and recognizes the necessity to escalate issues when appropriate.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 13 months
- Administrative experience: 2 years (required)
Application deadline: 2022-07-15