EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY The Salvation Army Edmonton Centre of Hope
PROGRAM: Cornerstone Residence
POSITION: Facilitator (Full Time – 80 hours bi-weekly)
FACILITY: Addictions & Residential Centre
LOCATION: 11838 – 82nd Street, Edmonton, AB
Mission and Values Statement
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church and charitable movement, active in over 130 countries worldwide. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity. The Mission of The Salvation Army is to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs, and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. This is expressed in spiritual ministry, and also by a wide variety of social services, which are extended without discrimination.
There are four core values that guide all aspects of the Salvation Army in the Canada and Bermuda Territory.
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
For more than 150 years, The Salvation Army has been serving and meeting the needs of people who are experiencing life challenges that leave them vulnerable and marginalized. Its powerful mission and core values are what attract people to join the organization to further its work.
Every position at the Edmonton Centre of Hope contributes to the spiritual and social services mission of The Salvation Army.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- The development of Cornerstone programming in collaboration with the Cornerstone program team
- Providing program instruction and classroom facilitation using approved material; participating in program and strategy development
- Providing oversight to client activities; participating as an active member of the Cornerstone program team to ensure that each client completes all requirements of the program
- Developing and carrying out personal goals and objectives related to training, education, personal recovery and recognized certification in the field of addictions (where applicable)
- Providing support to staff and clients in crisis or escalated situations (as appropriate); supporting clients individually or in a group setting
- Communicating in a sensitive and compassionate manner with clients and adapt modes of communication to facilitate effective interaction in all activities
- Ensuring the safe, efficient and effective delivery of all social, life skills, recreation and leisure activities (may be required to drive a transport vehicle for up to 7 passengers)
- Addressing situations where program rules are not being followed, document incidents and inform relevant support and management staff
- Performing intake and discharge procedures for clients as assigned
- Documenting client progress; participating in staff meetings, case management meetings, in-service programming and external meetings as directed
- Providing input in the development and implementation of policies and procedures for the Cornerstone program
- Providing statistical information as requested
- Other on-call and administrative duties as required
The successful candidate must:
- Have a diploma/certificate in Education, teaching/facilitation, or related field
- Have a minimum of 2 years classroom teaching or group facilitation experience
- Have a minimum of 1 year related experience in a Social Services/mental health setting, or working with marginalized clientele (considered an asset)
- Have an excellent grasp of the English language, both written and oral
- Be willing and able to support the spiritual dynamic of The Salvation Army Edmonton Centre of Hope program philosophy and adhere to basic Christian principles and beliefs
- Have experience with facilitating programs, activities, and performing administrative tasks
- Be proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel) and email
- Have a valid drivers’ license and clean drivers’ abstract
- Have a cleared Criminal Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Check
- Have current certification in Standard First Aid with CPR, Mental Health First Aid, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training
- Have strong organizational, note taking, reporting and administrative skills
- Be resourceful and able to work independently; be pro-active in resolving issues
· $ 23.35 per hour as per collective agreement
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. Please inform us if you require a disability-related accommodation during this process.
The Salvation Army is a Scent Sensitive & Smoke Free Facility
Interested applicants must respond in writing by July 17, 2019 with email.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Classroom Teaching/Group Facilitation: 2 years (Required)
- Driver's Licence (Required)
- English (Required)