Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Please note, this is a temporary full-time contract opportunity with an expected end date of February 11, 2022 to cover a secondment. Secondments are welcome.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Department of Western Technology Services (WTS) is a central source committed to providing high-quality, cost-effective technology solutions and services to the campus community in support of the teaching and research missions of the University. WTS works collaboratively with other IT groups within Western’s faculties and support units to leverage central supported technology solutions and services where appropriate.
The Administrative Officer will work with the Manager, Administration and Finance to ensure the smooth and efficient coordination of administrative operations in Western Technology Services. The incumbent will provide guidance and support for a wide range of administrative, human resources, and financial functions and processes, and ensure they are carried out in compliance with all of Western's relevant administrative policies and procedures. The Administrative Officer will assist in the resolution of administrative issues, monitor and manage physical and financial resources and supplies. The incumbent will also provide project support, participate in relevant committees, and ensure the availability of necessary documentation, resources and information.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Management/Administration
- Completion of or working towards Canadian Institute of Management Designation
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 3 years' administrative experience supporting human resources and finances in a complex office environment
- Experience managing and overseeing projects
- Experience supporting operational leaders in an IT environment is preferred
- Knowledge of general office procedures, financial budgeting and principles and Human Resources principles and practices
- Ability to ensure expenditures and resources are within allotments, and to make appropriate modifications when required
- Communication skills to translate information into easily understood terms, summarize information, provide a rationale for action and to complete detailed analytics and reports
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Ability and willingness to employ a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and making decisions
- Customer service skills to understand customer needs and expectations, with a desire to deliver helpful and reliable service to the University community
- Detail-oriented with an ability to function and process information with high levels of accuracy
- Commitment to ongoing professional development with a desire to take on new challenges
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet tight deadlines and adapt to changing priorities
- Computer skills with the ability to train others in system usage
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Influential interpersonal skills that build positive and strong relationships at all levels of the organization
- Ability to delegate work and provide team members with clear direction and support in meeting their objectives
- Organizational skills to manage multiple assignments that are accurate and thorough, sometimes of a complex nature or involving competing priorities
- Problem solving skills with a sense of urgency in resolving issues and getting tasks completed
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.