Position Available: Human Resources Consultant
Status: Temporary Full-Time (12 Month Contract)
Department: Human Resources & OD
Shifts: Days (Monday-Friday. Hours of work subject to change)
ABOUT JOSEPH BRANT HOSPITAL:
Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH) is a full-service community teaching hospital located in the growing and thriving community of Burlington, Ontario, serving more than 185,000 residents in Halton, Hamilton, Waterdown, Flamborough, Milton and Stoney Creek. JBH is honoured to be recognized as one of Hamilton Niagara’s Top Employers for five (5) consecutive years, with a skilled staff of 194 physicians, 1,911 full- and part-time staff and more than 700 volunteers.
JBH is a Clinical Education site in conjunction with McMaster University, and designated as an Academic Community Teaching Hospital. Its expanded campus includes the state-of-the-art Michael Lee-Chin & Family Patient Tower, featuring a new Emergency Department, 172 acute inpatient beds, 9 new Operating Rooms and post-anaesthetic care unit to support expanded medical, surgical and outpatient services. JBH is also a partner member of the Burlington Ontario Health Team (OHT).
JBH inspires and empowers a culture of caring and this is demonstrated in many ways including our commitment to the health, safety and wellbeing of our people.
Reporting to the Manager, Human Resources, the HR Consultant acts as a resource to a team of HR professionals and operational client portfolio to achieve strategic and operational goals. The Consultant will oversee investigative and performance management processes and provide coaching for leaders as they navigate complex employee relations situations. Working in a timely, progressive and proactive manner, the Consultant closely works with union partners to ensure a collaborative approach in working through employee and labour relations matters.
· Provides support to management in meeting Human Resources operational requirements
· Makes recommendations and assists with the development and implementation of Human Resources programs and services
· Provides internal employee and labour relations support and consult to HR team members
· Ensures Human Resources processes are within the requirements of organizational practices/policies and any Collective Agreements
· Acts as key strategic partner for the management team and employees within the respective portfolio of clients
· Ensures the provision of a high level of human resources consulting for assigned client group and management team, providing advice, coaching and leadership on all Human Resources matters
· Provides interpretation and advice on applicable legislation, policies and Collective Agreements to shape decision making
· Prepares for and assists with the grievance process up to and including arbitration
· Participates in local bargaining and negotiations
· Conducts both straightforward and complex workplace investigations with respect to such issues as harassment, human rights code violations and employment complaints and recommend options for resolving issues
· Participates in the development and implementation of Human Resource policies, procedures and programs
· Prepares reports, education and presentations related to key workplace relations issues to support continuous learning
· Ensures Human Resources processes comply within the requirements of Employment legislation and documentation including but not limited to Ontario Labour Relations Act, Employment Standards, Ontario Human Rights Code, Pay Equity, Pension and Benefits Act, Income Tax Act, Employment Insurance, Group Benefits contracts, Collective Agreements, WSIB, Administration Policies and Procedures
· Works in partnership with the unions to resolve problems and develop cooperative and collaborative workplace practices
· Develops implementation / project plans for new Human Resources programs or existing programs that are cyclical in nature
· Monitors project plans to ensure milestones and timelines are achieved and ensure that resources identified within project plans are apprised of their responsibilities
· Produces regular status reports to the Manager and/or Executive Sponsor on the progress of projects, identify milestones that may be at risk, and provide recommendations to mitigate
· Undergraduate degree in Business and/or Human Resource Management, CHRP required
· Working towards Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) designation
· 5 years of HR Generalist experience in a unionized environment
· Demonstrated skills and experience in leading workplace investigations, advising, guiding educating and supporting leaders in managing their human resources capital and strategic business objectives
· Experience as an HR Generalist with expert knowledge of HR legislation (e.g., Employment Standards, Human Rights, Health & Safety, Privacy, Compensation, Labour Relations, etc.)
· Previous experience working in Human Resources in an acute care large hospital or healthcare environment would be an asset
· Demonstrated ability to build, foster and maintain collaborative relationships with clients and union partners
· Ability to function independently and as a member of a team dealing with multiple priorities in a complex environment
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills, including conflict resolution skills
· High level of composure and demonstrated ability to work under pressure in a fast paced environment
· Strong consulting and advisory skills
· Well-developed facilitation and presentation skills
· Excellent written (including compositional and editing) skills and verbal communication skills
· Project management experience
· Ability to conduct research and condense complex information into succinct reports or briefing notes/proposals
· Ability to deal with competing, challenging, and changing priorities
· Experience with and/or knowledge of technology enabled learning and learning management systems required; experience with MediTech is considered an asset
· Advanced capability in office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
To be considered for this exciting opportunity please visit the JBH Careers page to apply to posting #201700. We ask that you please include the posting number in the subject line of any email correspondence. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants and only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Any information obtained during the recruitment process will be used for employment recruitment only, and not for any other purpose.
At Joseph Brant Hospital, we are committed to diversity and inclusion as we continue and expand our efforts to become a more inclusive, safe and respectful place for everyone to visit, work and receive care. HR will accommodate any needs under the Ontario Human Right Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Recruitment processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested.
Should you require accommodation through the application and/or recruitment process, please contact HR for assistance at careers at josephbranthospital.ca or at Ext. 4129 to allow opportunity for appropriate accommodations to be made.
Reference ID: 201700
Contract length: 12 months
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract