Medical Laboratory Assistant
Temporary Part Time position (approximatey months)
There’s never been a better time to join Mackenzie Health! Mackenzie Health’s two hospitals — Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital and Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital — and our community-based locations provide the ultimate in care to our community. We have opportunities available. Ultimately, this is where you want to be.
Laboratory Assistants who share our commitment to quality, patient-centred care. Ultimately, this is where you want to be.
Performs venipuncture for pre-operative, electives, in-hospital and emergency clients. Prepares and documents specimens for referral to external agencies. Performs electrocardiograms along with operating the Core Lab Automated pre analytical component.
Contribute to safe, quality care by
- Performs blood procurement for pre-operative, electives, in-hospital and emergency clients following lab Policies and Procedures for identification and collection of specimens.
- Ensures specimens received from other departments are accessioned and processed quickly.
- Prepares and completes documentation of specimens for referral to external agencies.
- Troubleshoots, problem solves and investigates incidents relating to missing specimens or other specimen concerns.
- Performs electrocardiograms.
- Performs patient registration and order entry of laboratory tests.
- Places Core Lab samples on the Automated Line, troubleshoots as required
What must you have?
- Laboratory Assistant Certificate from a recognized educational institution or equivalent.
- CMLTO, CSMLS or MLPAO Registration required
What else do you bring?
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Minimum 3 years current MLA Hospital work experience.
- Computer skills in a windows environment.
- Proven attendance record.
- Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
- Effectively uses empathy in interactions with others.
- Demonstrates behaviours consistent with Mackenzie Health’s Commitment to Caring.
- Models behaviour that is aligned with the values of Mackenzie Health – Excellence, Leadership and Empathy.
- Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
- You may be required to work at any site of Mackenzie Health
- This position is being represented by OPSEU Paramedical