Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
As Scotiabank’s engine of modernization, the PLATO platform enables technology teams to build software quickly and securely using modern practices. PLATO is an integrated set of technical capabilities, services and processes that encapsulate critical enterprise functions through standardization, re-use and automation.
The PLATO team is comprised of engineers, problem solvers, agilists and creatives in roles such as Enterprise Platform Engineering and Architecture, Enterprise Data Services, Cloud Infrastructure and Architecture, Product Engineering, and Product Management. Together, the team provides the platform that enables the Bank to deliver transformative experiences that help our 24 million customers become better off.
Interested in joining an agile team that’s impacting change for our customers around the world? Watch our video
The incumbent will be leading a team of Directors and Senior Managers with overall responsibility over the Enterprise Data Lake and 12 ingestion tools for the lake. The incumbent is reponsible for stabilizing and modernizing the Enterprise Data Lake. This includes establishing component engineering, delivery & release engineering, design engineering & DEVOPS engineering capabilities and practices to build a high functioning team and service.
The incumbent will effectively manage and supervise departmental and project staff by setting performance expectations, monitoring performance, providing performance feedback including the preparation of performance appraisals, and as needed, providing counsel and coaching, and arranging for formal training. This includes succession planning and the recruiting of qualified staff.
The incumbent is accountable for the delivery of the product suite roadmap, detail design, operational support and execution of onboarding of new clients onto the products/platforms. This includes creating the target state, detail designs, establishing SLA's, all operational management reporting and client communications. The leader will work closely with the banks engineering & operations teams and the Data Office to deliver a world-class product.
2. Lead the team of Directors and Senior Managers to ensure the data platforms under the portfolio are operating efficiently and compliant to the Bank’s audit requirements.
3. Provide thought leadership to the technology and business teams to collaborate and solve complex data problems of the Bank with support from Senior Executives as stakeholders.
4. Implement strong financial management (budgeting, tracking and forecasting), and governance oversight over the departmental operation to ensure operational efficiency, and prepare required reporting to business stakeholders and senior management on financial and delivery effectiveness of day-to-day operation and projects.
5. Effectively manage and supervise departmental and project staff by setting performance expectations, monitoring performance, providing performance feedback including the preparation of performance appraisals, and as needed, providing counsel and coaching, and arranging for formal training. This includes succession planning and the recruiting of qualified staff.
6. Build and maintain an internal network and collaborate broadly with technology and business partner peers to ensure enterprise data assets are utilized effectively across the Bank’s various processes.
7. Provide oversight on the day-to-day operation of the Bank’s function that leverages ENP, nterprise Notification, Aurora, the EDL and the Data Office Data Management Tools. This includes liaising with business partners and Production Support teams to ensure technology operational issues, delivery commitments, data quality issues, and batch operational issues are resolved timely to minimize business impact.
8. Adhere to the Bank’s data governance program and policies including data privacy and security policies and capture of appropriate technical and business metadata.
- Fluency in English (oral and written)
- 15+ years of Technical Management experience, especially in Financial / Banking Sector.
- Strong driver of new and emerging technologies
- Proven leadership in technology architecture and roadmap development, as well as execution of major projects
- Excellent skills in relationship and general business management
- Highly skilled and knowledgeable in complex technology environments
- Strong IT technology experience in high-volume, complex, customer-oriented IT environment
- Deep understanding of data services and complexity of a large global financial organization
- Deep understanding of banking business applications
- An excellent communicator - both written and verbal
- Innovative - Ability to see how future technologies can be applied to help drive business objectives
- Ability to influence and collaborate with teams of senior technical professionals
- Strategic thinking - Understands long term business strategies and can create data technology strategies aligned to them
- Change Leadership - Able to lead major organization change programs
- Results - Project champion, able to lead at the executive level major data projects
- Expertise in Google Cloud Platform, Confluent Kafka, Hortonworks Hadoop, IBM Infosphere Suite
- Expertise in Financial Industry data standards definitely an asset
Bachelors degree or higher preferably in the Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent technical discipline
Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank’s six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.