The Health Care Aide (HCA) is a valued interdisciplinary team member. Under the direction of the Nurse, the HCA assists Residents with the activities of daily living to address personal, social, physical, and recreational needs. Performs all duties in a safe, caring manner according to Residents’ wishes and Park Place policies and procedures. Aim of care is to promote independence and optimal functioning of Resident’s mind, body, and spirit. Treats Residents with dignity and demonstrates an attitude of caring. The HCA ensures a commitment to Resident safety and to our “culture of safety” as per Park Place Strategic Directions.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides care and support to Residents following their individualized care plans (e.g. Resident’s Day). When appropriate, encourages Resident participation in activities of daily living.
- Establishes and maintains therapeutic relationships with the Resident and their family using respectful communication ensuring Resident choice and autonomy in decision-making and care planning.
- Ensures that Residents’ rights are maintained and respected, which includes confidentiality.
- Provides holistic personal care to Residents, ensuring that the Residents’ activities of daily living needs are met as per Park Place policy and procedure.
- Encourages and assists Residents to participate in social, physical, spiritual, and recreational activities.
- Encourages and adheres to the Park Place philosophy of care, recognizing that each individual is capable of, to varying degrees; making decisions about his/her life and is a partner in the decision making.
- Provides personal care to Residents including but not limited to assisting the Resident with bathing, dressing, care of skin, teeth and hair; mobility and transfer needs; assisting with toilet needs; eating and hydration needs and overseeing Resident exercise routines.
- Following individualized Resident lift and transfer assessment, safely lifts, transfers and/or positions Residents to provide and maintain good body alignment and comfort.
- Assists Residents with ambulation as needed within the Home.
- Contributes to the development and ongoing changes to the Residents’ individualized plan of care, including attending and providing input into Resident interdisciplinary care plan meetings. Advocates for the interest of the Resident and significant others.
- Administers scheduled oral, rectal and/or topical medications. Under the direction of the nurse administer PRN topical medications in accordance with Park Place policies and procedures.
- Observes and monitors Residents’ status, symptoms and behavioural changes and reports observations and all relevant information about care to the nurse.
- Documents all relevant information on the Resident’s chart prior to the end of shift.
- Assists Residents with meals by serving and collecting meal trays and feeding designated Residents, maintaining intake and output records as required.
- Performs related clerical duties such as answering the telephone.
- Assists in the orientation and sharing information with new employees, students, and other members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Actively Participates in continuous quality improvement and program evaluation activities, education sessions, team conferences, meetings, and committees.
- Maintains a safe environment for Residents, significant others, and employees by adhering to established safety policies, standards and procedures including emergency procedures and infection control guidelines.
- Reports unsafe conditions and malfunctioning equipment immediately.
- Ensures care equipment and supplies are used and stored in safe and efficient manners.
- Maintains a clean, homelike environment for Residents and employees.
- Responsible for the safe performance of all duties.
- Performs other related duties are required
Job Types: Casual, Permanent, Part-time
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Night shift
- Health Care Aide Directory registration? (required)
Work Location: In person