Do you have a great ability to connect with a diverse group of participants and establish rapport quickly? Are you naturally willing to help others without judgement or preconceived ideas? Do you want a career where you can leverage your past human or social services experience, make new connections and make a difference in the local community? If you answer yes to all of these questions, we have an amazing opportunity where you get to help participants to achieve a brighter future.
Bredin WorkSource is a non-profit, government-funded program within Bredin Centre for Learning that provides employment services designed to meet the individual needs of unemployed and underemployed Albertans. This program assists semi-skilled and professional job seekers as well as career changers to better equip themselves to integrate into the workforce and community. Our program is designed to support participants as they develop strategies to work towards and succeed in achieving their career/employment goals. This support is provided at no cost to Albertans.
Bredin Centre for Learning has four offices in Alberta with a broad range of employment and settlement programming in Spruce Grove, Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary. For more information, please see our website at www.bredin.ca.
What a Bredin Career and Employment Coach will focus on:
Bredin’s career and employment coaches contribute to the growth and development of our programs and work directly with program participants. As a WorkSource career and employment coach, you will interact and assist clients to develop their career path plan and/or secure employment. There is also an opportunity to participate in our mobile unit and work in various communities within Parkland County and surrounding areas.
Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Meet with clients one-on-one to conduct initial assessments.
- Provide ongoing support and coaching with career planning and the job search process.
- Develop and implement action plans that will best meet our participants’ needs and achieve a successful outcome in the most efficient manner.
- Revisit action plans with participants on an ongoing basis and make any adjustments necessary to ensure participants’ success.
- Keep up to date on Alberta and Parkland County’s labour market trends and news.
- Participate in networking events within the local community.
- Assist participants to successfully maintain employment or to identify barriers/issues/challenges that may prevent them from obtaining or maintaining employment.
- Deliver and/or arrange for seminars and workshops for participants to support their work search.
- Review participants’ resumes, cover letters and interview tactics and provide feedback.
- Assist participants with job search skills, connect with prospective employers and support clients to complete job applications.
- Answer participant’s questions concerning details about different career paths.
- Protect participants’ personal information and exercise confidentiality through FOIP standards.
What skillset should our Career and Employment Coach have?
Reporting to the Program Manager, the ideal candidate is naturally organized, works best in a busy environment and is comfortable managing several priority tasks. We are looking for someone who can support and help build a collaborative culture. In addition to administration experience and business acumen, the personality and corporate culture fit of the candidate will be critical in the selection. Other required attributes include:
- Post-secondary education in Career Development, Social Services or related fields of experience.
- Experience working in an employment and counselling environment.
- Strong computer skills and intermediate to advanced level of experience with MS Office Suite.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) with the ability to build rapport with a diverse group of participants, peers and co-workers.
- Approachable, comfortable and self-aware when communicating with participants while maintaining a professional approach both in one-to-one and group settings.
- Knowledge of Alberta and Parkland County employment barriers, labour market conditions, training and education programs and community resources.
- Knowledge of human resources and recruiting techniques with a focus on current interviewing, coaching and job placement approaches.
- Strong data entry skills, proven track record of dealing with a high volume of paperwork.
What do we offer to our Career and Employment Coaches in return?
- Competitive hourly rate depending on experience as well as a comprehensive benefit and RRSP package.
- A great work life balance and an opportunity to give back and impact your community.
- Fantastic work environment with a laid-back but hard-working team!
- Friendly, flexible, professional and challenging workplace.
Job Type: Temporary full-time contract (5 months) with a possibility of extension
Location: Spruce Grove, AB
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- Secondary School (Preferred)