Globally recognized conservation organization seeks a positive disruptorcraving meaningful work that impacts wildlife and wild places using words and actions to help our talented, passionate team change the trajectory of the animals, plants and people on our planet.
Does this sound like you? Read on!
ThisCommunications Strategistis a purpose built role for a positive and creative disrupter who is comfortable creating and activating the Calgary Zoo’s powerful conservation narrative across all digital and human platforms.
The preferred candidate is an independent, future-forward thinker who applies curiosity, inquiry and integrity into their professional approach to everyday work and whose personal values align with the Calgary Zoo. A calm and steady multi-tasker able to change focus when necessary is the ideal fit for this team.
Position Key Accountabilities
The Communications Strategist provides strategic council and tactical contribution to both internal and external marketing communications as well as media relations and is responsible for developing and implementing effective, measurable strategies that support the goals of the Calgary Zoo as well as daily earned media relating to both proactive and reactive news stories.
As an influencer position, this role requires a professional that has the confidence to advocate for our organization and the conservation work we do on a local and global scale as well as the diplomacy to engage our internal team to embrace and enliven our brand during all guest interactions.
What You Will Do:
- Develop and deliver a cross-platform and multi-audience editorial strategy that aligns with and drives the business plan
- Collaborate and work across the business with multiple stakeholder groups
- Ensure consistent brand execution internally and externally across web and digital platforms, news outlets, publications and speaking opportunities
- Measure the outcomes and impact of plans and implement changes as necessary to ensure they meet the business objectives of the Calgary Zoo, drive revenue and brand awareness
- Develop and deliver high impact, cost efficient, culturally aligned messaging
- Oversees the cross-functional team and vendors responsible for the delivery on all key projects
This role reports to the Director of Marketing, Sales and Communications and works closely with the Leadership Team, Sales and Marketing, Business Development, Guest services, Catering and Special Events.
This Position Requires:
- A flexible, responsive, constructive and collaborative approach to organizational change and competing demands
- Cultural sensitivity with the ability to understand the perspective of various guests, regions and locations in which the Calgary Zoo impacts
- Excellent business judgment and the ability to represent the long-term viability of the Zoo in the business community and the media
- Self-motivator who embodies a proactive approach to influence, take ownership and drive change
- A strong writer who can craft content in different tones, voices and styles
- Ability to manage pressure and tight timelines, limited budgets at times and quick turnarounds
- Understanding of metrics and evaluation
What You Will Bring
- Five years of relevant experience working in a formal communications function
- Internal and external communications experience
- Media and issues management experience
- Active experience deploying content all digital platforms with a focus on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Degree or diploma in Communications and/or Public Relations preferred
- Primarily office based with long periods working at a computer
- Some lifting (heavy boxes, signs, tables, etc.)
- May work evenings and weekends
- May involve long periods of standing
The Calgary Zoo is an outdoor facility and all staff working at the zoo must be comfortable working in a large variety of outdoor conditions. The Calgary Zoo follows the advice of Environment Canada when responding to temperature and air quality issues.
What the Zoo Offers
- Competitive compensation
- Flexible benefits plan, including a health spending account
- Employer Matching RRSP program
- Competitive vacation and flex days entitlement
- Discounts on food, beverage, and merchandise
- A complimentary annual pass for you and your immediate family members
- A fun, rewarding work environment and the opportunity to work in a park full of wild animals
Are you ready to join one of Canada’s leaders in wildlife conservation?
Our Mission |Take and inspire action to sustain wildlife and wild places.
Our Values |Effective collaboration and communication, honesty and integrity, customer focus, safety and conservation.
If this position suits your skills, experience and personal attributes, we want to talk to you!
Apply by doing the following:
- Submit your resume with a cover letter via our online application system. (https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oi2Yafwc&s=MANUAL_Indeed)
*Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Applications are due no later than September 16th @ 4:00pm MST, 2019.
*All applicants are thanked in advance and advised that only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE INQUIRIES PLEASE.
Job Type: Full-time