Are you looking to join an industry leader and pioneer in the world of industrial robotics?
Novarc Technologies is an award-winning technology company based in North Vancouver, B.C. Novarc has taken home the Innovation award at the North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce and most recently, first place for Excellence in Technology Innovation at BCTIA technology impact awards. Novarc Technologies designs and builds advanced collaborative welding robots for pipe welding applications. Novarc uses sensor-based controls and computer vision with cutting edge software and hardware to improve the quality and efficiency of pipe welding. Our main product, the Spool Welding Robot (SWR) is a state-of-art collaborative robot that is currently being shipped internationally.
The Director of Installation and Commissioning (I&C) is responsible for coordinating all activities for the installation and commissioning of SWR units. The role involves detailed technical installation activities for complex robotic welding system with multiple servo motors and positioners. The director of I&C will interact with the client’s project team for timely and quality execution of installation and commissioning activities. This is a generalist position requiring knowledge across mechanical, electrical and software fields. The position also requires full hands-on implementation of installation and commissioning procedures. The position requires international and domestic travel of about 50%.
- Plan, execute and supervise the commissioning to the final handover/acceptance of equipment.
- Conduct site readiness surveys prior to dispatching equipment and personnel.
- Take a lead role in resolving installation issues, procedures and methods by working with management, engineering, operations team and contractors. This includes diagnosing mechanical, electrical, and software issues through to resolution.
- Perform installation and commissioning of new systems within the schedule and budget.
- Inspection and testing of equipment to ensure proper operation within expected tolerances.
- Promote the efficient flow of information and ensure complete and proper record keeping of commissioned equipment.
- Lead project staff on location. Institute and direct documentation changes to the work being done when required by site conditions.
- Deliver superior customer service and support.
- Monitor and execute outstanding punch list items.
- Lead in troubleshooting and resolving equipment, systems and process problems.
- Interpret installation plans and contract specifications to ensure contract requirements are satisfied.
- Train customers and staff through both classroom setting and hands-on practical applications.
- Maintain familiarity with system designs, drawings and standards, as well as, applicable industry codes and practices.
- Provide oversight for mechanical and electrical installation of SWR arm, electrical cabinet, positioners and welding equipment.
- Provide daily, detailed site reports to the internal Operations team.
- Comfortable presenting site reports, in-field learnings, and debriefs in front of groups of people.
- Create internal company procedures to standardize the installation and operation of equipment.
- Understand customer requirements and report these back to the engineering team for consideration.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely with internal and external stakeholders.
- Customer Oriented - Clearly and professionally take care of the customers’ needs while following Novarc company procedures.
- Decision Making - Ability to make critical decisions while following company procedures.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Educated - Bachelor of Engineering, or Technologist Diploma with 2 years of additional experience
- Experienced - Minimum of 4 years of fieldwork/hands-on work experience.
- Initiative - Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
- Judgment - The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
- Leadership - Ability to influence others to perform their jobs effectively and to be responsible for making decisions.
- Patience - Ability to act proactively and calmly under stress and strain, and of not being hasty or impetuous.
- Problem Solving - Ability to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.
- Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
- Self-Motivated - Ability to be internally inspired to perform a task to the best of one’s ability using his or her own drive or initiative.
- Technical - Must have a working knowledge of blueprints and electrical schematics in an industrial setting
- Travel - Enjoys travel, meeting new people and cultures, and finding good restaurants to visit
- Preference is given to those with Omron PLC control logic experience.
- Barring direct Omron experience, Allen-Bradley and/or Siemens would be an asset.
- Experience using Miller and Lincoln electric welding machines.
- Hands-on welding experience in manufacturing or production or research with welding based processes.
- Experience and support of new products in welding automation.
Location: North Vancouver
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent