Apply today and ask about our signing bonus of up to $1,000!
We are seeking an individual to perform cooking duties in our retirement community. This is an ideal role for someone who has experience in large quantity food preparation, preferably in retirement community, fine dining, or hospitality setting. The successful candidate has successfully completed food safety/sanitation certification programs, as well as the Smart Serve training program.
The ideal candidate is able to work quickly and safely while understanding and accurately following guidelines, regulations, policies, and procedures. You have effective time management skills to manage the schedule for meal service and a working knowledge of special and therapeutic diets. As a cooperative team player, the incumbent will communicate to our senior residents, their families, colleagues, and managers in a friendly and professional manner.
Reporting to the Food Services Manager, the key responsibilities for this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Preparing and cooking all meals, including foods for therapeutic diets, for residents and guests during assigned shifts; this includes creating meals and baked goods from scratch as often as possible.
- Ensuring that all prepared food is aesthetically pleasing and in accordance to the recipes/menus of the retirement community; this will include increasing or decreasing recipes to meet the needs of the residence.
- Assisting in dish and pan washing.
- Keeping work area clean, safe, and uncluttered; completing scheduled cleaning duties.
- General kitchen duties.
- Other related duties, as assigned.
Other key qualifications for this position will include, but are not limited to:
- The ideal candidate will have at least two (2) years of cooking experience in a volume food preparation environment; current qualification as a chef will be considered an asset.
- Must have required food safety/sanitation certifications.
- Must be knowledgeable of the Ontario Food Premises Regulation and Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating, as well all other pertinent legislation and regulations.
- Being physically able to lift and transfer heavy, hot items and stand for majority of shift.
- Must provide police check including vulnerable sector search and professional references;
- Must undergo a two-step Mantoux TB test and provide documentation of such.
Balmoral Place Retirement Community welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Balmoral Place Retirement Community. Please be advised that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
- cooking: 2 years (Preferred)
- Prepare, season and cook food as directed, meeting dietary requirements where required
- Follow recipes and presentation specifications
- Operate standard kitchen equipment safely and efficiently
- Clean and maintain station in practicing good safety and sanitation
- Oversee kitchen operations
- Maintain inventory and record of food, supplies and equipment
- Adhere to all sanitation and food production codes