Canada Learning Code seeks to grow our Code Mobile Team in Vancouver. Join our fleet of 14 code mobiles, a computer lab on wheels, complete with all the tools needed to host pop-up workshops in communities big and small across the country!
Canada Learning Code is Canada's leading national charity championing digital literacy education. Placing a special emphasis on women, girls, people with disabilities, Indigenous youth and newcomers, Canada Learning Code is proud to work from coast to coast to make sure that all Canadians have access to the knowledge they need to prosper in our digital world. Originally founded as Ladies Learning Code in 2011, the organization has evolved to run programming for adults, youth and educators through programs Ladies, Girls, Kids, Teens and Teachers Learning Code. Today, Canada Learning Code operates in over 35 communities across the country, driving results through program design and delivery, strategic industry and public partnerships, research and advocacy. To date, the organization has reached over 250,000 learners through an in-person experience.
Canada Learning Code is anEqual Opportunity Employerand values diversity and inclusion within all our teams (employees and volunteers alike). We are committed to continuing to diversify our Teams across Canada. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented and minority groups.
We are looking for an energetic person, passionate about tech and education, to join our team as a Code Mobile Education Lead
About the RoleOur Code Mobile Education Lead will ensure that we deliver inspiring educational experiences with our Code Mobile and that we reach or exceed our learner goals across all of our programs. If we develop unique local partnerships and build our community of educators and learners across the region, our Code Mobile Education Lead will have done their job well.
- Teach coding and tech programs to learners of all ages through our beginner-friendly workshops in schools, libraries, community centres, and more!
- Ensure that all workshops and activities are being delivered as intended by our Program Design team and all our program delivery standards are upheld
- Deeply understand every piece of equipment and material and where it belongs in the vehicle and it’s proper care and maintenance.
- Participate in design-improvements and maintenance of the trucks storage and inventory systems.
- Track and manage equipment and materials within the truck
- Manage vehicle and inventory maintenance
- Consistently capture the events and the trip activities in photographs and videos
- Execute the setup and tear down of each event. Determine where/how the lab should be set up (table configuration, power cords, laptops, etc.)
- Map out effective and efficient travel routes for each visit based on delivery opportunities and other targets
- Participate in the delivery of workshops and events as a mentor and lead instructor
- Speak with the media, communicate with parents and event partners, and more, as needed
- Ensure participants are learning, enjoying our programs, and would attend an experience with the Code Mobile again in the future
- Collaborate with Canada Learning Code’s Chapters to ensure that the Code Mobile is leveraging our broader team
- Step into all team member roles, whether that is driving the truck, leading a workshop or managing partners!
Ultimately, this role will be shaped by the person who fills it -- you will help determine what strategies and efforts are required to get the job done. The position will require you to be organized, self-directed, creative, and flexible. We are looking for someone who has displayed strong interpersonal skills and organizational capabilities throughout their career to date, and who has brought an entrepreneurial flair to every endeavour that they have undertaken.
- You have a full Drivers License. This is an absolute must.
- It would be an asset if you have experience in leadership roles with youth or adults - mentoring, teaching, coaching, ideally teaching in camp and/or classroom environments
- You are passionate about learning environments
- You have experience implementing policies and procedures
- You enjoy interacting with kids and are passionate about inspiring and teaching them
- You might have experience with logistics planning and coordinating for tours/trips
- It would be great if you have experience with providing support to educators
- You might have some brand ambassador experience
- You are a flexible team player and confident in asking the right questions and being engaged to find positive solutions
- You are incredibly self-directed and need little supervision
- You love to use online tools and technology to help you be effective and efficient
- You consider yourself tech-savvy. You know your way around Google Tools such as Drive, Calendar and Hangouts
- You have a basic understanding of HTML, CSS and Web Design
- You have a 'no job is too big or too small' mentality
- You take initiative and are excited to come up with creative ideas as part of your job every day
- You have impeccable time-management, planning and organizing skills
- You have comfort and proficiency with automobile maintenance You can expect that these role will be both fun and challenging. You will help shape the role and what it takes for you to be successful
Not technical? No problem.The first little while in this role will be a technical “crash course”, getting you trained on basic coding, on computational thinking principles, and on tools like Scratch.
Work Hours and EnvironmentThis is a full-time position with hours that vary week-to-week and day-to-day, relating the programming schedule (which you create and manage!). This role will work primarily on the road with the Code Mobile and in classroom and event spaces. Some at-home or remote work will be required.
Some evening and weekend work will be required. Some travel will be required.
This role reports to our Director of Program Delivery!
This is a permanent that begins early September, ideally!
Why Join Our Team?
We’re doing something big and we have huge goals. Canada Learning Code is a place where you will be surrounded and supported by some amazing people who are light on ego, high on curiosity, and flat out want make a difference. We are always looking for talented individuals who bring strong skill sets that complement and add to our existing teams along with innovative thinking, team attitude and an ability to show results.
All positions at our organization include the following perks & benefits:
- 15 days of vacation annually
- Up to 10 Personal Emergency Leave days per calendar year
- Lieu Days for additional days worked, such as attending weekend and evening events or meetings
- Extra time off (usually one week) during Organization downtime in December
- Group benefits including medical and dental
- The opportunity to participate in part-time courses and workshops for free
- Be part of a growing team that is changing the digital literacy education industry in a big way
Job Type: Full-time
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- Drivers License (Class 5) (Required)