Marquis Book Printing Inc. is looking for visionary employees who thrive in a stimulating, fast paced environment with potential growth. We are an equal opportunity employer and we provide a competitive compensation and benefits package.
We are currently seeking a knowledgeable Human Resources Generalist to join our team in Toronto to effectively manage the company’s human resources requirements. Reporting directly to the Vice-President of Human Resources, the ideal candidate must possess exceptional skills and experience in recruitment, retention, training, Ceridian Dayforce administration, labor relations, H&S and policy management.
Established in 1937, Marquis is Canada’s largest book manufacturer, offering the best solutions in the field of publishing and communications to thousands of content owners in Canada, the United States and Europe. Marquis has experienced a solid growth exceeding 200% in the last five years. Today our team accounts for more than 600 employees in six business locations across Canada: Montmagny, Quebec City, Louiseville, Sherbrooke, Montreal, and Toronto.
About the Marquis Toronto plant
The Marquis’ Toronto plant is a leading Canadian print solutions provider, servicing the North American market for over 40 years. With a long history of technology leadership, offering innovative print solutions to address the challenges of high inventory and production costs. Since 2011, the plant has invested over $30 million in new digital inkjet presses, front-end technology and finishing equipment, operating from a 170,000-square foot manufacturing plant located in Toronto which employs 170 people.
- Provide guidance and coaching to directors and department managers on all HR related areas;
- Provide advice to leadership team on employee relations issues, including attendance management and conflict management;
- Build effective relationships with operational departments to understand their business goals and to proactively identify and implement solutions that align with organizational strategies;
- Coordinate recruitment and selection process for the organization, including screening candidates, conducting interviews, contacting references;
- Coordinate and facilitates the onboarding programs, oversight of new hire onboarding, and oversight new employee integration over the probationary period;
- Lead the talent management programs, including performance review cycle tracking, individual development plans, and succession planning;
- Develop and implement documents on policies and employee reference handbooks;
- Involvement in developing compensation and benefits systems;
- Act as a resource person with respect to insurance, RRSPs and any benefits arising from the company’s human resources programs;
- Strive to maintain a strong proactive, trusted relationships with all the employees;
- Provide direction, support, and coaching, to various levels of management and employees on Health & Safety compliance matters. Participates and/or ensures Health & Safety Committees & meetings. Implements and improves safety management systems and processes;
- Prepare and build consensus annual plans for plant wide H&S initiatives;
- Develop designs and is responsible for the implementation and follow-through of the local processes. Follows up on non-conformances and develops the systems to resolve them based on root cause analysis;
- Ensure that appropriate risk assessments are conducted and follow ups implemented to minimize or eliminate accidents;
- Develop and implement programs and services to reduce WSIB costs and short term and long-term absence costs through early intervention with good medical management, early and safe return to work processes, and by being a subject matter expert specific to WSIB, modified work, and accommodations;
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Relations or a related discipline is required;
- Minimum of 6 years of progressive related experience in a Human Resources generalist;
- Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP);
- Strong track record of accuracy and attention to detail in drafting various HR documents;
- Proactive, analytical and service-oriented;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Experience working with relevant legislation, including the Employment Standards Act, the Human Rights Code, the Employment Equity Act, the Pay Equity Act, and the Occupational Health & Safety Act;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively with individuals, groups and external agencies;
- Certificate in Health and Safety will be considered as an asset;
- Change management experience will be considered as an asset.
Why Work for Marquis?
- Global enterprise with a human dimension;
- Welcoming, friendly and respectful workplace environment;
- An organization in which the contribution of each employee is recognized by all management
- Close to senior management who are open to new ideas;
- Company involved in the Employer of Choice Awards process;
- A growth company, offering career advancement opportunities.
Only those selected for interview consideration will be contacted. Marquis encourages applications from all qualified candidates. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, should you require an accommodation for the interview and selection process please provide your needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.
Job Type: Full-time
- Human Resources: 6 years (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)