CUPE 3911, a local of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, represents the part-time academics at Athabasca University. Currently, the local is seeking an Administrator to assist the Executive in managing and coordinating the union’s business to ensure organizational effectiveness and efficiency. This part-time position (20-25 hours/week) is primarily conducted from a home office setting but requires the successful individual to have flexible availability to accommodate various union meetings and events that occur throughout the year within Edmonton. The Administrator will work one day per week in the Edmonton business office. The Administrator must also be available for one Saturday per month for the local’s general monthly meetings.
The Administrator is responsible for:
- being first point of contact for member inquiries/concerns
- helping to conduct all finance work related to local business
- maintaining accurate financial records
- managing Human Resources documents and reports received from Athabasca University (AU);
- maintaining a complex and comprehensive member database
- coordinating local events and conferences
- scheduling meetings and booking space
- making travel arrangements for local Executives
- managing the local’s website, electronic newsletter lists and distribution
- preparing meeting agendas and taking detailed minutes at various meetings
- supporting Executive committees as needed on an ongoing basis
- minimum of 2 years of post-secondary in a relevant field (degree preferred) or an equivalent combination of post-secondary education and work experience
- minimum of 3 years of administrative experience preferably in a union or post-secondary setting; union work experience would be a valuable asset.
- ability to work independently in a work environment with little to no supervision
- demonstrated effective writing and oral communication skills
- experience in assisting with grievances, including note-taking at grievance meetings/hearings
- ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, contribute positively to a small and dynamic team and to liaise between multiple groups
- exceptional interpersonal, organizational and time management skills; creativity, initiative, intuition and strong problem-solving skills; accuracy and attention to detail
- demonstrated competencies in the areas of: professionalism, results orientation, teamwork, flexibility/adaptability
- experience working with volunteers and communicating with volunteer committees or groups
- demonstrated ability to prepare budgets and to keep accurate financial records
- experience in book-keeping
- strong working knowledge of Gmail and Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, and website and social media platforms
CUPE 3911 offers a competitive hourly salary, professional development and tuition benefits, and contributes 50% to an optional benefits package.
Please submit a resume and cover letter by email, clearly outlining how you meet the required qualifications.
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered, and only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Application Deadline is: Tuesday, November 19th, 2019. 11:59 MST
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $29.23 to $40.07 /hour
- Administration: 3 years (Required)
- union or labour relations: 1 year (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Preferred)
- Edmonton, AB (Required)
- English (Required)