Blue Cross Life Insurance Company of Canada is a federally licensed company that distributes its products through a network of Blue Cross Plans. The Company specializes in life and disability income protection products that supplement and enhance the portfolio of health products distributed by its Shareholder Blue Cross Plans.
Actuarial Business Process Analyst
Full Time, Permanent
Moncton, NB or Montreal, QC
Applications are being invited for a position within the actuarial team in our Moncton and Montreal offices as an Actuarial Business Process Analyst. As a member of the team, you will work closely with members of the Actuarial, Information Technology, Administration, Claims, and Risk and Finance teams.
- Efficiently adapting current business processes and tools to accommodate roll-out of new IT systems, developing new models according to company’s business initiatives and improving existing models
- Assist in the performance of the various Corporate Actuarial functions including Financial Condition Testing (FCT), development and maintenance of existing valuation models, production of the annual Appointed Actuary's report, actuarial experience studies and budgeting exercises and reinsurance related reporting and process improvements
- Assist in the production of monthly and quarterly financial results such as policy liabilities (reserves and regulatory capital filing (LICAT).
- University Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Actuarial Science, Finance, Information Technology, or another closely related field
- Working towards an actuarial designation with the CIA would be considered an asset
A minimum of 3 years of experience in data analysis related work experience.
- You are versed in corporate finance, insurance and statistical concepts and practices
- You love working on process improvement & automation initiatives and have experience with building and maintaining business process models
- You are well versed in data governance best practices
- You possess strong skills with regards to cleaning and pruning data to discard irrelevant information, are experienced in and love working through data conflict resolution, debugging data centric business process issues and resolving these issues.
- You have advanced skills using Excel in combination with Power Query, VBA or C# .Net programming to work with large amounts of data
- Working knowledge of advanced data warehouse reporting (using SQL) would be considered an asset: you have the ability to extract, interpret and explain data utilizing moderately complex SQL queries in a complex data environment.
- Knowledge of the AXIS actuarial software and group insurance products would be considered an asset
Bilingualism (French & English) is considered an asset for this role
- You have exceptional analytical skills with high attention to details
- You have a keen interest for solving problems involving mathematical constructs while working directly with actuarial mathematicians and other insurance professionals
- You possess excellent problem solving skills and are confident in your decision making abilities
- You enjoy pinpointing and resolving issues in complicated data sets
- You have the ability to triage code problems
Execution and Organizational Skills:
- You possess strong communication skills, and are able to communicate complex ideas to non-experts
- You are a creative thinker, and enjoy questioning established business practices and brainstorming new approaches
Team Work Skills:
- You love learning and champion change
- You enjoy working in a high pressured and fast paced environment
- You are a self-motivated and are able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- You understand and enjoy participating in project management, including the ability to prioritize tasks, document work and obtain the buy-in from other team members, and you have the proven ability to plan and execute large scale long-term projects
- You are comfortable with executing tasks within scheduled timeframes and budgets
- You are experienced in documenting business process changes, and have a good understanding of the software development life cycle
- You are able to escalate issues to the appropriate internal team
- You possess a strong sense of individual and collective accountability
- You have strong interpersonal skills and a positive attitude
- You thrive in working in a team environment, but are also able to work independently
We would like to thank all candidates for expressing interest. Please note only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Blue Cross Life is an equal opportunity employer.
In order to keep our employees, candidates, and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our employees are working from home within Canada. All interviewing, onboarding and most work takes place remotely at this time. For those employees who must work in our offices, we have taken every precaution to ensure the health and safety of our people by providing strict protocols/practices to meet legislated client and company needs, as well as modifications to the worksites to mitigate the risks for everyone's protection.
Business Process, Claims, Actuarial, Accounting, Data Analyst, Management, Insurance, Finance, Data