Under general supervision the incumbent is responsible for transporting a variety of supplies and/or materials within the facility using a tow motor and by methods such as loading items by hand or using pallet jack, transporting to specific unit/department, delivering specials such as perishable or valuable items.
- Transports a variety of supplies and/or materials by operating a Power Pallet Jack or tow motor by methods such as loading by hand or using a pallet jack, taking supplies off of a pallet, sorting supplies per Department, placing the supplies onto mobile transportation carts, securing load in accordance with policies and procedures, delivering supplies to designated areas as directed and off-loading and/or distributing supplies to specified unit for distribution.
- Delivers direct purchase items and specials such as perishables or valuable items by performing duties such as picking up item from Stores, signing delivery receipt, transporting goods to department/unit, obtaining signature to confirm receipt and returning signed copy to Stores to ensure immediate delivery.
- Delivers and picks up various items such as requisitions, mail/parcels, supplies, equipment and pharmacy items from various areas throughout the hospitals.
- Specific to VGH Site: Operates garbage compactor dumping mechanism by aligning and clamping garbage carts and activating automated mechanism in order to empty garbage from carts into compactor.
- Specific to C&W: Empty soiled linen into linen cart and load into linen truck. Exchange empty linen carts with soiled from all Hospital areas.
- Specific to C&W: Loads and unloads linen to and from delivery vehicles.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Grade 10 or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Valid Class 5 vehicle license if applicable.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Professional development growth opportunities
- The opportunity to make an impact and help transform lives.
- Perks including: health and wellness and technology and computers (staff discounts) and professional training and development.
If this sounds like you, apply now!
Status: Casual (on call) be available to work on an on-call basis with no guaranteed shifts! Please note you are required to be available to pick up short call (1-5 hours of notice) and booked shifts. Living in the Tri-cities, Richmond and Vancouver or in close proximity to Vancouver General Hospital is a bonus!
Location: Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver
Closing date: Until Filled
Reference #: 085206E
Wage: $20.15 per hour
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) provides specialized health services to British Columbians, including cancer care, organ transplantation, pediatrics, emergency services, mental health and substance use services. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: https://jobs.phsa.ca/family-brands
We hire on the basis of merit and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences. We strive to create a safe and welcoming environment where everyone can come to work and be their best, authentic self.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $20.15 /hour