Central Zone, Centennial Building - QEII
OPCZ Oral Maxillofacial
Type of Employment:
Casual Relief (3% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Under direction of the Health Services Manager, the Booking and Registration Clerk works in close co-operation with other clerical staff members and the multi-disciplinary team. The Clerk is directly responsible for all telephone operations, patient registrations, booking of appointments, schedule maintenance and management of patient referrals and records. Other responsibilities include the processing of payments and related financial transactions as well as interaction with other clerical staff to provide efficient patient flow within the department. This position is the primary contact point for telephones, patients, public, internal inquiries and correspondence.
- Grade XII plus a one year secretarial/business/clerical program, or one year of related experience
- Experience in a healthcare environment, dental, and/or medical office environment preferred
- Experience handling cash, debit, credit card payments, and financial transactions preferred
- Dental billing experience (receiving financial payments via multi-methods) preferred
- Experience with STAR required and PHS preferred
- Medical and dental terminology preferred
- Knowledge of Power Practice Dental billing software or equivalent dental billing software is preferred
- Knowledge of other computer software programs is preferred
- Recent experience working in a fast paced clinic and booking/registration area preferred
- Telephone triage, filing and patient record management
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management, communication, and organizational skills
- Demonstrates initiative in priority setting and carrying out tasks in an efficient safe manner
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Applicants will be screened on the above qualifications. Applicants must clearly demonstrate how they meet the knowledge and competencies in their cover letter and resume. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Applicants will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information.
- A skills test may be performed for this position. Only those with a passing score will proceed to the interview stage *
Hours of Work
$20.0923 - $21.9129 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
Criminal Record Check
Proof of education & training certifications
Proof of any additional required qualification
Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Nursing bargaining unit - NSGEU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.