Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Western Housing department creates a supportive, inclusive community for students to live, learn and flourish. Residences at Western University are some of the best in the country with the Globe and Mail’s student satisfaction survey placing Western's residences number one for eleven consecutive years! RezNet delivers high quality, secure and cost effective internet technology services and support to the students living in residence. RezNet also strives to provide the best staff experience to the student staff who work for RezNet!
The Fall RezNet Staff member provides technical support to students living in residence on at Western University, Brescia University College, and Huron University College. They provide technical assistance over the phone on the RezNet Hotline, and in person assistance in student’s rooms. They must write detailed, relevant, and accurate tickets to document customer service interactions. They will act as a positive influence on the RezNet student staff team, maintaining a personable and approachable manner with all customer and staff interactions. The successful candidate will have the ability to work with students from a variety of racial, cultural and lifestyle backgrounds. The incumbent will take guidance from their supervisor, and work productively and courteously with their work team and other members of the Western community.
Workload is heaviest at the very beginning of the year and becomes much lighter with more flexible hours after the 2nd or 3rd week of September. RezNet Staff members should expect to work 25 – 35 hours during the week prior to the start of classes in September. Once classes begin in the fall, the commitment will be 6 - 12 hours a week. Exceptions will be made for night classes and other academic responsibilities. By the end of September, time commitment will lessen to 3 – 6 hours a week.
In late September, Fall RezNet Staff can apply to become Full year staff members. Full Year RezNet Staff continue through until the end of April.
- The Fall RezNet Staff member will be friendly and approachable, has effective communication skills,
and has experience in providing customer service.
- S/he will have the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of students and can work productively in teams.
- The Fall RezNet Staff member must be a currently enrolled, full time Western University student.
- The successful candidate must be able to participate in paid job training and seasonal preparation starting one week prior to Labour Day.
Skills, Abilities & Expertise:
- S/he must have prior experience in providing customer service and/or in providing technical support
- Written and verbal communication skills to express ideas clearly, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Ability to write relevant, complete, and accurate tickets for customer interactions
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Ability to follow processes and practices with high attention to detail
- Demonstrates integrity and works in accordance with Western's policies and procedures
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of clients and staff
- Ability to work productively in teams and take direction well
- Experience providing technical support via telephone and in-person interactions
- Experience in both Windows and OS X operating systems
- Demonstrates willingness to tackle difficult problems or calls
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Ability to prioritize and organize a fluctuating work load, working effectively with little direction
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Ability to work in a manner that is compliant with confidentiality requirements as applicable
Western offers a broad and exciting variety of part-time and temporary employment opportunities with ample room for job exploration and growth. Within our beautiful campus, you are part of a progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance including access to our state-of-the-art recreation centre. Apply for an opportunity to be part of the Western community and contribute to its success!
Applying at Western
To ensure that your application is given full consideration, please complete all relevant sections of the application. In addition, you can choose to supplement your application with a cover letter and current resume.
Consideration of applicants will include an assessment of previous performance, experience, and qualifications. Applicants should have oral communication skills in English.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Participation with the RezNet Team requires conflicting time commitments that would normally preclude participation on the Soph, Residence Council, and Residence Staff positions.