Affinity Integrated Facility Solutions (Affinity Solutions) is an established and award-winning company with over 10 years in the commercial and industrial building-maintenance industry. Affinity Solutions provides management and maintenance solutions to multi-residential and commercial buildings. Affinity Solutions is based in midtown-Toronto, and provides services to our Greater Toronto Area, Greater Golden Horseshoe, London, and Ottawa customers, with a talented 150-member-strong team. We are currently looking to hire a Controller to lead and manage the Finance team. The Controller will report directly to the President.
The position will have the following responsibilities:
- Act as a strategic business partner to senior executive leadership team and the President.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts with reporting to the President.
- Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plan of organization.
- Identify, acquire and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information. Evaluate departments and make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the company’s plan for growth and expansion.
- Understanding of the basics of treasury functions such as investments, credit and cash flow forecasting; risk management functions such as insurance and business continuity planning; human resources functions such as payroll, recruitment and training, employee health care and pension plans; and information technology systems.
- Select and engage consultants, auditors and investors.
- Recruit, interview and hire finance, accounting and payroll staff as required.
- Participate in pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives and operational models.
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management.
- Oversee financing strategies and activities, as well as banking relationships.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
Planning and Policy
- Ensures annual budget is prepared, incorporating the appropriate financial strategies in budget preparation.
- Coordinate the development and monitoring of budgets.
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports including monthly profit and loss by division, forecast vs. budget by division and weekly cash flow by division.
- Reviews and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
- Identifies, develop and execute analysis of business initiatives, product launches and/or new service offerings.
- Develops and maintain monthly operating budget and annual company operating budget.
- Manages financial planning and analysis department. Supervises creation of reports, software implementation and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
- Participate in policy development as a member of the senior management team.
- Works in concert with the Presidentto develop short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections.
- Represent Affinity Solutions to financial partners, including financial institutions, auditors, clients, partners, etc.
Accounting and Administration
- Oversee accounting to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function; supervise the accounting staff.
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting.;
- Oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements.
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
Management of General Accounting and Payroll Functions:
Through the efforts of subordinate management personnel, ensures:
- Accurate and timely preparation and distribution of payroll;
- Accurate and timely tuition billings and invoicing;
- Accurate and timely posting to the G/L;
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the finance and operations teams
- Must be able to look holistically at the organization and understanding the implications of problems and opportunities within the individual parts of the organization.
- Provide leadership, mentoring and motivations to staff as needed.
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Ensures that all requisite financial reports are completed in all required detail and are submitted in a timely manner.
The Controller will be a seasoned and mature leader with at least 7-10 years of broad finance experience, ideally in management accounting, followed by experience gathering and evaluating financial information and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership. She or he will ideally have experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) for a complex organization with both services and multi-family property management.
The Controller will have the following experience and attributes:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting another related field required; a CPA and/or MBA is preferred.
- At least five years of experience as Controller or equivalent, managing all facets of finance and accounting, preferably in a business environment, to include at least three (3) years in a managerial role. Expert knowledge of GAAP, financial reporting requirements, cash management, tax and audit requirements with a revenue of at least $10 million.
- Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
- Must possess strong analytical skills; excellent organizational and planning skills need to establish priorities and achieve stated financial goals for the agency.
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise.
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask.
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Must be able to set the ethical tone for presenting the company’s financial condition to stakeholders.
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
- Passion for Entrepreneurship.
Job Type: Full-time
- Canadian accounting: 7 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- English (Required)