Nights Sleep Disability Service Worker - Vegreville, Alberta
Job Number: J0419-0750
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
City: Vegreville, Alberta
Hours of Work Per Week: 30+
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Combination Night shift sleep position with some day hours 32 hours sleep and 36 regular per pay period
Closing Date: April 29, 2019
Hiring Manager: Lisa Cardinal - Program Director
Compensation: $21.40/Hour ***Sleep hours are paid at $15/hr***
Disability Support Workers at the "Sugar & Spice" Program in Vegreville, Alberta, encourage a female adult with developmental disabilities to live a full life with personalized care based on individual needs.
***Due to personal care duties and other requirements of the job/client, only female candidates will be considered for this position.***
WJS Canada’s personalized planning provides a wide range of residential options for adults with developmental disabilities. Our commitment is to provide programs that maximize progress and independence, support unique strengths and qualities, and encourage integration into the community.
During overnight hours staff ensure a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the person in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations. In the event of an emergent situation, sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities.
***Sleep hours are paid at $15/hr***
In Your Role You Will
- Show how to accomplish tasks to acceptable levels, and provides client with the information, tools and resources to best function and enable them to complete tasks and/or make decisions.
- Provide instruction, guidance and support in a helpful and supportive manner.
- Implement person-centered plans designed to support and assist persons in a residential group or private home setting
- Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills or assist with direct care of high needs and/or medically fragile individuals, as required.
- Identify client needs and expectations and respond in a respectful, helpful and responsive manner.
- Be aware of the individual’s physical, social and recreational environments, taking action to minimize risks and maximize participation/inclusion.
- Assist and support individuals to participate in a meaningful way in their personal life planning definition of personal goals.
- Model socially appropriate behaviours (for the individual and the community).
- Administer medical administration or first aid, according to prescribed procedures.
- Participate in shift exchanges, staff communication and communication of issues or concerns.
- Maintain required documentation.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
- Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
- MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities
- MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
- Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
- A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
- Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
- Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.00 to $21.40 /hour
- support for persons with developmental disabilities: 1 year (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Preferred)
- Vegreville, AB (Required)