Title of Positions: Math and Literacy Tutor - Alberta
Term: 6-month contract, full-time (January-June 2021)
Location: Online (tutor must reside in AB)
Start date: January 2021
Frontier College is a national, non-profit literacy organization. We believe literacy is a right, and we work inclusively with community partners to give people the skills and confidence they need to reach their full potential.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, barriers to learning have been entrenched and many of our young face falling further behind in their literacy skills and education. Frontier College is hiring versatile, community-focused tutors to support the learning of vulnerable teens in our northern Alberta partner communities.
We are seeking mature, committed and self-motivated individuals to provide online academic support to high school students. Tutors will work with partners and project staff to develop a full-time week-day schedule, targeting interventions for multiple at-risk students of variable abilities.
Tutoring will vary from providing basic reading and literacy support, to ensuring a strong understanding of foundational math or science concepts; gradually integrating more advanced methods, developing study skills and building confidence. Tutors must offer a vibrant, approachable service, patiently adapted to the needs of individual students and of each school.
Supported by the Frontier College project team and working in close collaboration with community contacts including teachers and school administrators, Tutors will work under the remote supervision of the Frontier College Alberta Camps Coordinator.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
· Collaborate with community contacts and school personnel to identify students most in need of support
· Establish trust and build relationships with students
· Daily planning & delivering of engaging tutoring sessions
· Ensure a safe, positive and respectful environment when tutoring
· Develop and adapt material to students’ needs and levels
· Build literacy and comprehensions skills, where needed
· Track and evaluate students’ progress and program impact
- Establish and maintain good relationships with community members and parents
- Submit weekly reports to Supervisor and maintain accurate records as required
- Ensure adherence to all program directives and guidelines and perform other duties as assigned by Frontier College
Required Skills and Attributes
- Minimum 18 years old
- Self-motivated, proactive and responsible
- Demonstrated experience in working with teens and/or in tutoring or teaching
- Comfortable with high school-level math and science curriculum
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Superior organizational and time-management skills
- Awareness of cultural differences and the broader societal realities of FNMI communities
- Works well under pressure and can adapt to changing and unpredictable environments
- Strong situational problem-solving and crisis management skills
- Comfortable with technology, including proficient use of communication platforms such as Zoom, Teams etc.
- Access to reliable high-speed internet and a suitable home space for conducting tutoring
- Previous experience tutoring or working with youth online
- BEd or other qualifications in fields of education, social work or similar
- Ownership of computer and other tech required for smooth online tutoring
- Prior experience working with First Nation, Inuit or Métis individuals or communities is an asset
We offer a competitive salary and a supportive work environment. Funding may be available for technological support or upgrades.
Contract length: 6 months
Application Deadline: 2020-12-11
Expected Start Date: 2021-01-18
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $17.00-$20.00 per hour
This job will be done remotely
- Tutoring : 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)