The Corporation of the Municipality of Clarington Operations Department requires
Two Building Services I (Janitorial) (Temporary up to six months)
The Municipality of Clarington is pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, within our recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process or in performing your position should you be selected please contact the Human Resources Division at corporateservices@ clarington.net.
The Operations Department requires two Building Services I, janitorial/maintenance personnel. The duties and responsibilities of the Building Services position are performed under the supervision of the Buildings & Property Supervisor. The position is subject to shift work involving evening overnight and weekends.
- Maintain the Municipal Administrative Centre, Main Branch Library and the 132 Church Street Building in a clean and orderly fashion
- Perform heavy cleaning duties such as cleaning floors, shampooing rugs, washing walls and glass at all heights.
- Duties may include but are not limited to performing routine maintenance activities including exterior grounds maintenance and snow removal.
Note: This position requires moderate to heavy physical exertion and weekend/shift work is required in accordance with the terms of the Collective Agreement.
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, vacuums floors of buildings using cleaning solutions, tools and equipment.
- Cleans or polishes walls, ceilings, windows, building fixtures.
- Gathers and empties waste and recycling.
- Dust furniture, walls, machines and equipment.
- Painting as required.
- Re-Lamping and cleaning of lighting fixtures.
- Respond to customer’s requests in accordance with established guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, or equivalent education and experience to the satisfaction of the Director of Operations.
- Training or education in the field of Building Operations and Maintenance would be considered an asset.
- Valid class “G” Motor Vehicle Operators Licence.
- Experience and knowledge of custodial and building maintenance and ability to follow assigned work routines is essential.
- Capable of using floor cleaning equipment to sweep, mop/scrub as required.
- Operation of Small Drinking Water Systems Certification is considered an asset.
- Current First Aid Certificate, WHMIS training and familiarity with the Occupational Health and Safety Act is considered an asset.
- Proof of completion of the Ministry of Labour’s worker awareness program is an asset.
- Must be legally able to work in Canada.
Salary Range: Code 1 of 2019 of the Outside Collective Agreement - $20.63/hour
The interview may include written and oral testing to assist in determining the successful candidate. The passing score will be considered to be 60 per cent on each test. Consideration will be given to the candidate with the highest score.
At the time of interview candidates are requires to provide; Proof of Current Automobile Insurance Coverage, current Driver’s Abstract and proof of valid Ontario Driver’s Licence
The successful candidate will be required to provide at their own expense; a satisfactory criminal reference check, from a Canadian Police Information Centre, prior to commencing employment. Applicants who have been employed with the Municipality within the last year and have provided a CPIC within the last 365 days are exempt.
Applications will be received in confidence prior to 4 p.m., Wednesday, June 26, 2019.
Please quote FILE #47-19
Human Resources Division
Municipality of Clarington
40 Temperance Street
Emails may be forwarded to resumes @clarington.net; applications will not be retrieved from other sources (file sharing sites – One Drive).
Applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001, c.25) to determine employment eligibility with the Municipality of Clarington. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Director of Corporate Services, 40 Temperance St., Bowmanville, ON, L1C 3A6, (905) 623-3379.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $20.63 /hour