Confidential Assistant - Legal Services
STATUS: Regular Full Time - Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Legal Services
CLOSING: October 8, 2023
Come grow with The City of Maple Ridge! Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication and customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you!
The Confidential Assistant plays a pivotal role within our dynamic legal operations reporting directly to the General Counsel within the CAO Office. As the Confidential Assistant, you will provide essential administrative, research, and clerical support that keeps our legal department operating smoothly. You’ll be at the forefront of administering legal opinions and precedent databases, drafting precise legal documents, and managing external legal counsel contracts. We place a strong emphasis on adaptability, quick thinking and resourcefulness while consistently exercising sound judgment, meticulous attention to detail and the highest levels of discretion.
If you’re someone who thrives on managing multiple tasks in a fast-paced setting, excels at finding solutions to complex challenges and values working in a results driven environment, then this Confidential Assistant role is your opportunity to make a meaningful impact on our team and growing organization.
Join us and become an integral part of our mission to deliver exceptional legal services that plays a vital role in the growth and transformation of our city.
- Considerable knowledge of constitutional/administrative law, corporate/commercial law, litigation, legislative interpretation and drafting, and municipal by-laws;
- Ability to function efficiently with limited direction, to establish and maintain effective working relationships with volunteers, municipal officials, and other employees, and to meet and successfully serve the public on a continuing basis;
- Ability to exhibit and maintain confidentiality and discretion of matters as required with regard to private and/or confidential information;
- Considerable knowledge of legal terminology, procedures, forms, documents, and databases;
- Ability to research, prepare, review, and process a variety of legal documents from a variety of sources;
- Advanced proficiency using technology and software programs, including Word, Excel, MS Power Apps, SharePoint, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Outlook, HTML composers and macro scripting tools;
- Demonstrate proficiency in the core competencies of:
- Adaptability: Willingness to be flexible in a changing environment.
- Relationship Building: Establishing and maintaining respectful and cooperative working relationships.
- Effective Communication: Leverages communication techniques to address conflicts, diffuse tense situations and contributes to a harmonious and collaborative work environment.
- Problem Solving: Recognizes and acts to resolve problems.
- Organization: Organizes work so that others will understand it, in order to achieve City goals.
- Customer Focus: Provides excellent service to both internal and external customers.
- Perseverance: Overcomes challenges and setbacks with resilience, maintaining focus on goals and maintaining composure under pressure.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The knowledge, skills, and experience required for this job are usually obtained through the completion of a Paralegal diploma or degree from a recognized educational institution and a minimum of 5-7 years of diversified and progressively more responsible work in an administrative capacity within an institutional or top tier full service law firm environment; or an equivalent combination of directly related education, training, and experience.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
Driver's license valid in the Province of British Columbia
At the City of Maple Ridge, we are dedicated to cultivating an inclusive culture that actively values and embraces diversity. We strive to attract and retain a talented, diverse workforce that is broadly reflective of the community we proudly serve. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process by contacting [email protected].
WHAT WE OFFER YOU:
The City of Maple Ridge is a great place to work with competitive compensation packages that include the Municipal Pension Plan, a strong employee wellness program and the opportunity for professional career growth and professional development. If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.