Do you want a rewarding and challenging career helping young people? Do you enjoy working with others and in a team environment? If so Elk Island Child & Youth Ranch is currently looking for Awake Overnight Staff on shift work schedule (4 on 2 off, 10 hour shifts from 10:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m.) working with at risk boys aged 10-24 years old.
Elk Island Child & Youth Ranch is located 40 minutes east of Edmonton, 20 minutes east of Fort Saskatchewan in Lamont, Alberta. Please consider the travel distance before applying.
Awake Night Staff workers, under the supervision of the management provide awake overnight residential treatment services to children and adolescents in a therapeutic milieu.
- Works with and takes directions from supervisory staff.
- Ensures safety of themselves and other staff by completing required hazard assessments and checklist prior to the commencement of every shift.
- Provides and ensures a safe and secure environment for the children in our care.
- Ensures the consistency of a healthy, positive and therapeutic environment for the children in our care.
- Ensures that the physical upkeep of the facility is up to the required standards including health, fire, and safety. This includes a nightly cleaning schedule covering bathrooms and common living areas, as well as specific deep cleaning activities throughout the week.
- Complete weekly audits that are submitted to the Shift Lead for follow up.
- On arrival, reviews daily logs; throughout the shift, carries out bed checks every 15 minutes and records observations.
- Carries out 30 minute phone checks with other Ranches from 11:30 p.m. up to and including 7:30am.
- Assist in waking the children in our care and getting them ready for school on week-days.
- Promptly communicates any information obtained through the course of her/his duties, regarding or affecting Elk Island Child & Youth Ranch Ltd. Program and/or plans to the Supervisory/Management team.
- Adheres to the policies, procedures and routines of Elk Island Child & Youth Ranch including completion of hazard Assessments prior to the start of each shift.
- Works in a co-operative manner with all members of the treatment team.
- Reports all observations of misconduct in accordance with the established policies and procedures of the Ranch.
- Provides all documentation in accordance with Ranch forms and formats.
- Assists with other child-related duties as may from time to time be required to immediate supervisor.
- Develops therapeutic relationships with the children in our care.
- Observes, assesses and records behaviors, interactions and activities of the children in our care.
- Role model appropriate behaviors for residents.
- All other duties as assigned by Supervisory staff.
- Engages and participates in the process of providing nutritious and healthy meals in collaboration with the Mess Hall Cook, this includes up to and not limited to; preparing food, serving food, cleaning up of meal time mess such as dishes, floors, wiping tables, counters and garbage removal. Other duties may be assigned at the discretion of the Mess Hall Cook, or supervisory staff as they see fit to ensure the successful operation of the Mess Hall
- Supervision of youth within a residential setting
- Medication Administration to all youth including documentation
Training required includes:
- Probationary Training
- Non Violent Crisis Prevention and Intervention
- Aboriginal Awareness
- First Aid and CPR
- Medication Delivery
- Suicide Awareness
- FASD training
- Self Harm
- Food Safe
Training is a requirement of the position however should you not have these trainings already we offer resources for our staff to obtain it during their employment
- Valid Class 5 license
- Clear Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Sections Check
- Clear Child Intervention Check
- 2 years previous experience working within the Human Services field
- Post Secondary diploma and/or degree in Child and Youth Care, Social Work, Corrections or a related Human Services field.
- 3 References from previous employers
You will be working with youth who have FASD, ADHD, Conduct Disorder, Mental Health Concerns and Developmental Delays in correlation and collaboration with a Clinician, Children Service Workers, Medical Professionals and the Treatment Team.
Aboriginal candidates are considered an asset
Starting wage is based on experience and position. a Comprehensive Health Benefits package is available after 3 months. RRSP Program after one year of employment.
Please feel free to contact Elk Island Child & Youth Ranch if you have any questions.
Please indicate the position you are applying for when sending your resume and cover letter. If possible send along with your resume a clear Criminal Record and Child Welfare Intervention Records Check, this will allow us to speed up the hiring process:
Elk Island Child & Youth Ranch
Attention: Crystal Burant
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please visit our website at www.elkislandranch.ca for more information about our facility and treatment program.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $44,200.00 to $49,400.00 /year
- Human Services: 2 years (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Preferred)
- Criminal Record Check (Preferred)
- CPR First Aid Level C (Preferred)
- Suicide Intervention (Preferred)
- Crisis Intervention (Preferred)
- Class 5 Operators License (Preferred)
- Child Intervention (Preferred)