Central Zone, 7 Mellor Avenue
60058229 PH HC Youth Health
Type of Employment:
Hourly PT long-assignment (83% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Healthcare Bargaining Unit - NSGEU
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Youth Health Consultant, the Youth Health Center Coordinator (YHCC) is responsible for delivering a range of health promotion programs and services to youth and their families in the school and community settings. Working under the model of Comprehensive School Health, the YHCC provides leadership, facilitation, education and support with youth within the concepts of the broad determinants of health. S/he works closely with youth, school administrators, teachers, guidance counsellors and other student support workers in the school setting, and with other community partners to ensure that youth have access to a wide range of programs and services that promote health. S/he works closely with school-based health promoting school's committees which provide a forum for youth input and ongoing communications within the school community. The YHCC also provides leadership, coordination, evaluation and ongoing development in the areas of health promotion with youth.
This position is located at Sackville Highschool.
- Bachelor degree in a relevant health discipline
- Masters’ degree preferred
- Must be registered / licensed by discipline specific college or association
- Minimum three years’ experience in related discipline including one year Public Health / population health experience, preferably involving youth in community settings
- Knowledge, skills and values aligned with Public Health Core Competencies
- Experience in the application of public health principles and practices, partnership development, and community development
- Excellent communication skills, assessment skills and teaching/ facilitation skills
- Familiarity with population health, health promotion and disease prevention concepts
- Experience relevant to children and youth, health promotion strategies in school and community settings preferred
- Ability to work with children and youth with empathy and enthusiasm
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team both within the organization and in the community
- A valid Nova Scotia's driver's license and reliable vehicle
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
Long Assignment Part-time (83%) Position; 59 Hours Bi-weekly
Beginning September 14, 2020 with an expected end date of October 8, 2021
Dates are approximate and subject to change
$31.0422 - $39.1991 Hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
Criminal Record Check
Proof of education & training certifications
Proof of any additional required qualification
Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Healthcare bargaining unit - NSGEU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/