Associate Family Lawyer
Mazzeo Law is a boutique law firm located in Vaughan, ON, voted Top Choice Real Estate Law Firm in 2022 and 2023, and recognized by Best Lawyers in 2022. Our areas of expertise are focused mostly in helping the community resolve their legal issues which often encompasses Family Law, Real Estate Law, Corporate and/or Will and Estate Law.
We are currently seeking a confident, experienced and hands on Family Lawyer that is able to apply their strong Family Law background to the overall carriage of our files and customer service here at Mazzeo Law. Mazzeo Law offers a true team environment and a competitive compensation and benefits package with an opportunity to enhance skills and knowledge in a fast-paced environment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Docket time in PCLaw;
- Review files with clerks;
- Assign and delegate tasks to clerks;
- Communicate with clients and opposing counsel;
- Analyze and summarize legal documents;
- Supporting other junior lawyers and staff within Family Law; and
- Legal research and drafting of a wide range of legal documents including but not limited to Applications, Reply, Answer, Conference Briefs, Motion materials, Factums, etc.
The successful candidate will have:
2-5 years Family Law experience working in an Ontario family law firm;
- Experience in division of assets and separation agreements;
- Experience with custody disputes;
- Strong litigation, drafting, negotiation and organizational skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills (verbal, written, and listening); and
- Able to handle multiple assignments, work well under pressure, and have the flexibility to assist the team in meeting client demands on accelerated schedules.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
2-5 years of experience in family law;
- Law Degree;
- Called to the Bar in Ontario; and
- Experience working with PCLaw and DivorceMate.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality;
- Ability to multi-task and take on additional projects or assignments to develop skill set;
- Ability to work well independently, as well as in a team setting;
- Excellent decision making skills and good judgment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent leadership skills, mediating and negotiation skills;
- Excellent technical and software skills, including MS Office Suite;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills;
- Fundamental problem-solving and analytical skills, with the ability to remain calm in pressured situations;
- Superior time management and organizational skills to manage competing priorities;
- Highly detail oriented with a critical degree of accuracy;
- Ability to facilitate a work/life balance; and
- Strong work ethics.
What we Offer:
At Mazzeo Law we encourage a balanced lifestyle and have striven to build an office where you will feel fulfilled in your work and career yet have ample time to enjoy the non-work related areas of life, whether with family, friends or personal activities. We offer three (3) weeks vacation (pro-rated to start date) in your first year of employment, and additional paid time off. Employer paid benefits are available.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.