Position: Clinical Assistant
Location: East End Community Health Centre, 1619 Queen Street East
Position type: Maternity Leave Contract - starting September 2019 for approximately 18 months.
Hours of work: Monday to Thursday 11am-7pm, Friday 9am to 5pm or occasional Saturday 9am- 5pm
To apply: Apply through indeed and indicate “Clinical Assistant” in the subject line.
Deadline to apply: August 15, 2019 at noon
East End Community Health Centre provides primary care, health promotion and disease prevention services to southeast Toronto. A unique aspect of our mandate is to serve people who may have difficulty accessing health care due to factors such as language, culture, poverty or the lack of health insurance.
As a member of an interdisciplinary team, the Clinical Assistant functions interdependently with other Centre staff within the framework of the social determinants of health to provide client-centered care that emphasize health promotion and disease prevention. The Clinical Assistant provides clinical and administrative support to the clinical team.
The Clinical Assistant works in partnership with other staff and management to support the Vision, Mission, and Values of the Centre.
Performs clinical procedures and tests, as ordered by the physician or nurse practitioner
- Measuring height/weight/BMI
- Administering injections such as: childhood and adult immunizations, TB skin tests, flu shots etc.
- Performing blood pressure checks
- ECG recording
- Assisting and teaching clients with specimen collection
- Urinalysis & Urine Pregnancy Tests
Completes the following clinical administrative tasks:
- Order, stock and maintain an adequate inventory of medical and pharmaceutical supplies in the clinical rooms, lab, storage cupboards, treatment/procedure room, home-care and emergency bags. Track and replace expired supplies.
- Maintain a computerized inventory of all clinical supplies
- Ensure exam rooms, laboratory and medical supply cupboards are kept safe, clean and stocked
- Ensure the availability of sterile clinical equipment by autoclaving as necessary
- Prepare instrument trays for clinical procedures
- Ensure Quality Assurance standards are met as they pertain to the autoclaving of equipment and supplies
- Clean sterilization equipment
- Clean and disinfect clinical and waiting room toys; discard waiting room magazines.
- Order, maintain and ensure proper and safe functioning of all medical equipment, coordinating repairs as required
- Monitor daily the temperature of vaccine refrigerator
- Ensure pharmaceuticals are properly stored and refrigerator temperatures are recorded
- Ensure empty oxygen tanks are replaced in a timely manner oxygen tanks are full
- Obtain and maintain in the lab a stock of identified clinical and client resources; distribute to clinical rooms and appropriate client locations. Maintain supplies of specimen collection containers in public washrooms.
- Support maintenance of client records including tracking of client recalls, lab and diagnostic results
- Complete encounters and accurate and timely charting related to clinical work
- Promote effective staff functioning and teamwork by participating on health center committees as requested
- Coordinate collection, disposal and pick-up of bio-hazardous waste
- Other duties as assigned
- Registration as a Medical Laboratory Technician or OSMT Certification
- College diploma in related program or combination of education and relevant work experience
- 2 to 4 years of experience
- Demonstrated competence in venipuncture, EKG and medication administration preferred.
- Experience in a health care setting with knowledge and understanding of medical terminology
- Knowledge of computer software and ability to learn/navigate an electronic client record
- Experience with purchasing and maintaining inventory
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary team environment
- Demonstrated ability, commitment to and knowledge of community health care
- Proficiency in the use of computers and various software applications
- Excellent interpersonal skills with clients in a culturally diverse practice population, and with colleagues
- Excellent communication, decision-making, problem-solving, conflict management and time management skills
- Second language, relevant to catchment area populations, is an asset.
East End CHC is an equal opportunity employer.We would like to thank all interested candidates, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Contract
Job Type: Contract
- Medical Laboratory Technician or OSMT Certification (Required)
- English (Required)