The UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) produces data to fuel the policies and investments needed to transform lives and propel the world towards its development goals. Providing statistical and technical inputs for global, regional and funding mechanisms for education, the UIS enables the work of the UN Transforming Education Summit, the Global Education Cooperation Mechanism (GCM), G7, G20, etc. The UIS meets data needs for emerging priorities, for example, most recently, tracking and monitoring impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on education worldwide. The UIS maintains the most comprehensive education statistics database in the world – the official source of data of the UN system, used for various purposes, including for the SDG monitoring.
Established in 1999, the UIS serves as UNESCO’s statistical agency. The UIS is focused on delivering cross-nationally comparable data for global, regional and development agendas, covering the fields of education, science, culture, and communication and information. The UIS assures the technical support for Member States to produce transformative data based on the 3 pillars (Standards and methodologies; Data production; Brokerage and outreach). The UIS vision, described in its 2022-2029 Medium Term strategy, is to serve the needs of Member States, ensuring that their policies and decision-making are informed by sound statistical information, that they can benchmark progress towards national and international goals, and learn from the experience of others.
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS), and the direct supervision of the Head of Unit, Dissemination Systems, the incumbent will be responsible in assisting as primary contact in handling responsibilities of Web design, content maintenance and different aspects of the organization’s website.
Main tasks and responsibilities
1) Act as primary resource to:
a) Oversee and maintain the UIS online presence including the UIS website and microsites (Drupal; Apache; IIS; SOLR, WordPress), and assorted other digital properties. This includes contributing to design; user-experience (including search); navigation; faceting; maintaining & adding content-types; maintaining and adding page templates; embedding graphics; overall site evolution including applying patches and security updates.
b) Oversee and maintain UIS’ shared visualizations.
c) Establish UIS non-functional requirements and standards following best practices for accessibility, usability, mobile responsiveness, and search engine optimization. Ensure that UIS online presence follows established non-functional standards.
d) Manage website content including creating/updating webpages, page layout, and image editing and optimization.
2) Assist with supporting various UIS systems, including:
a) Hosting of UIS online presence (MS Azure Cloud; on-premises).
b) UIS Data API, Shared Visualization Components (React.js; D3.js) and associated components.
c) Various UIS DBs including: Data Center (UIS.Stat), NADA (Data Catalogs) and the Learning Outcomes (LO) Database.
3) Contribute to the evolution of the UIS online presence, and how the UIS leverages digital technologies.
4) Contribute to the UIS’s digital strategy to increase the visibility and use of UIS website, open data, embeddable objects, and social media among a wide range of audiences.
5) Perform any additional activities that may be required in support of the mandate of the UIS and to ensure the success of the work team.
Minimum qualifications and competencies
Completion of secondary, technical or vocational education is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience including Drupal and WordPress with advanced site-building ability, broad knowledge of contributed modules, development of custom modules, and module/plugin management and maintenance.
- Extensive experience with a wide range of web technologies, including:
- Expert knowledge of HTML/HTML5, XML, and CSS/CSS3 standards with practical experience.
- Version control systems and processes.
- Responsive and mobile-optimized web sites (Bootstrap)
- Cross-browser design (IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome).
- Web content management platform architecture and server configuration.
- Implementing web content management platforms.
- Exceptional sense of creativity and aesthetic
Skills and competencies
- Familiarity with best practices for SEO, Usability and Accessibility.
A strong understanding of web development processes including familiarity with Agile Methodologies and user stories.
A strong understanding/ proponent of, a Continuous Improvement Process.
A solid understanding of data driven visualizations.
Excellent verbal and written communication in English and at least a basic understanding of French.
Able to work collaboratively in a multicultural and dynamic team environment.
- Strong competencies in attention to detail, problem solving, and time management.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field would be an asset.
Advanced knowledge of all Adobe CC suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, etc) or other professional graphic design environments
- Transforming design and product vision into a working UI/UX in a business context.
- Experience in designing print and digital graphic content
- Past experience as a frontend developer
- Good knowledge of (written and oral) of French
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application via UNESCO careers website.