About the Organization
Allan Brooks Nature Centre Society is a charitable not-for-profit organization that educates and engages public around the natural history of flora and fauna, ecosystems and stewardship of nature in the Okanagan. We provide education, resources, and hands-on opportunities and experiences to learn and appreciate the Okanagan’s unique and diverse natural history. Our work is motivated by the understanding that healthy ecosystems, environmental stewardship, and habitat conservation depend on informed, engaged, and empowered public, especially young people and their families, which care about nature.
To learn more about Allan Brooks Nature Centre, visit our website www.abnc.ca
The Interpreter/ Visitor Services Representative will act as the primary liaison between visitors and ABNC, providing the community with first-hand experiences of the Okanagan and Allan Brooks through greeting visitors, nature interpretation and delivery of programs, such as summer day camps.
This position isfull time (35hrs/week) from June 29th to August 29th, 2020. Candidates must be available to work regular days and hours, including weekends, some evenings and holidays. The wage is $15.00 per hour.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Welcoming visitors of all ages to the Centre and explaining the wonders of ABNC and our programs;
- Follow our new Covid-19 policies and protocols to protect staff and visitors at the centre;
- Assist with daily tasks of the nature centre, including working front desk, handling cash, completing daily cash reports, answering phone calls and cleaning.
- Managing gift store sales, processing payments and managing the gift store inventory;
- Provide a positive, enthusiastic ecological learning experience to visitors through informative and interactive guided tours;
- Research and provide information and facts about flora & fauna, ecosystems and nature in the Okanagan;
- Lead indoor and outdoor nature interpretive programs independently and as a team to individual visitors and small to large-sized (4 to 20+) groups;
- Develop activities for and supervise Summer Day Camps (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursdays) for children 4 – 12 years of age;
- Facilitate children’s activities, crafts and games at the Nature Centre;
- Assist operational and event staff and volunteers to implement and deliver events on-site at Allan Brooks Nature Centre (e.g. Family Fun Nights, Evening Arts,).
- Must be between 15-30 years of age at the start of the employment, due to Canada Summer Jobs grant requirements;
- Must be outgoing, have strong interpersonal, intercultural and intergenerational skills to ensure clear communication across all visitors, volunteer and staff personnel;
- Strong conflict resolution and relationship building skills;
- Work well as a team as well as independently with minimal supervision;
- Knowledge of nature in the Okanagan preferable, and/or the ability to learn quickly and integrate new information;
- Experience and ability to confidently educate and inspire groups of people through public speaking;
- Experience and ability to confidently supervise and lead Summer Day Camps for children aged 4 - 12;
- Ability to make sound judgment and respond tactfully as the leader of visitor, volunteer groups and summer day camps;
- Educational/practical background or interest in science, education and/or nature interpretation;
- Self-directed, highly organized with strong coordination skills. Ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve;
- Passionate about nature, education and working with a great group of people while having fun;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number and be eligible to work in Canada.
The position requires candidates to:
- Have a valid BC Driver’s License and be willing to provide a driver’s abstract for review
- Have or willing to obtain Occupational First Aid Level 1 (or acceptable equivalent)
- Provide a Criminal Records Check
- Occasionally lift boxes 15 pounds or less, climb ladders, and safely lead groups of visitors around the grounds for the duration of approximately one hour
Please apply by emailing your resume and cover letter ‘stating why you would be an ideal fit for this role’ attention of Chantelle Adams by June 10, 2020.
Applications will be reviewed as received and interviews will be held accordingly. * Please state “Interpreter/ Visitor Services Representative” in your email subject line.*
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $14.00 to $15.00 /hour
New Covid-19 Policies and Protocols have been created to keep staff and visitors safe.