Behaviour Therapy and Learning Centre (BTLC) is dedicated to providing an exceptional educational program to preschool and Kindergarten children with autism and other developmental disabilities. BTLC’s intensive and individualized program focuses on teaching the functional skills that support our children in achieving the greatest degree of independence possible and developing their capacity to participate in inclusive environments with their same aged peers.
We have a team of brilliant, creative, and talented teachers, educational assistants and support staff that celebrate each and every accomplishment of our remarkable students. We are currently hiring dynamic individuals to join our team and share our passion to make Big Things Happen for children with autism. Extensive research on early development for children with autism stresses the importance of intensive and early intervention. For most children with autism, strong, evidence based early intervention results in significant and accelerated gains in learning, communication and social skills. It can make a lifetime of difference.
We provide a specialized program with a small class size, high ratio of adult support, and intensive and individualized programming. Learning happens throughout the day as children participate in creative and engaging activities that are thoughtfully planned to address their individual and educational goals and provide experiences similar to a community preschool or Kindergarten classroom.
Successful candidates will work collaboratively with a team of teachers, educational assistants and professionals. They will learn how to implement systematic and structured teaching strategies within group activities or one-on-one to support our children in reducing problem behaviours that interfere with their learning and develop positive skills and behaviours, including: play, communication, language comprehension, independence with classroom routines, participation in group learning, and social interaction. Successful candidates may also work in our integrated school program providing the opportunity for children to learn in community-based preschool or Kindergarten programs.
POSITION: Full Time, Fixed Term (10 month) Renewable Contract (starting September 2023)
Monday to Friday daytime (within the hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm); 32-38 hours/week
- Enthusiastic, energetic, and can confidently engage with children
- Demonstrate sensitivity and compassion, especially when working with children with challenging behaviours
- Adaptable, flexible and comfortable working in a busy classroom
- Open to feedback, eager to learn, able to generalize learned strategies
- Work cooperatively and respectfully with team members
- Strong commitment to helping children learn and develop positive skills and behaviours
- Reliably follow through with assigned responsibilities and demonstrate initiative
- Fluent in English, strong communication skills both written and oral
- High level of professionalism
- Comfortable supporting young children with toileting, eating, and dressing
- Physical agility and stamina to play, run, bend, walk, crouch, crawl and stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to move with ease to and from the floor and small furniture
- Ability to move, lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Basic knowledge of and experience with Microsoft 365 applications
- Valid Alberta Driver's License, car insurance and a vehicle in good repair
- Current Emergency First Aid and CPR Level C
- Clear Police Check and Child Intervention Check
- Post secondary education in a related field (education, social work, rehabilitation or disability studies, psychology, ABA, etc.) either in progress or complete
- Experience working with preschool/Kindergarten-aged children
- Specific experience working with children with special needs is a significant asset
- Knowledge of/experience with Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) and child development are valuable assets
- Compensation based on experience and educational background (starting range $20.00-$22.00/hr)
- Performance based increases up to $29/hr
- Compensation for driving to another school midday
- Extended time off: winter break, spring break and summer
- Minimum of one paid non instructional working day per month to allow for team meetings and program development
- Five personal days as per Alberta Employment Standards, plus a minimum of one additional paid day off scheduled per month, acknowledging the importance of employee wellness
- Extended Health Care Benefits and Employee Assistance Program
- Professional development
- Working with a passionate and supportive team
The children we support are diverse and so are we! We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, identities, perspectives, and skills. We strive to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere that fosters inclusivity, and therefore, employment decisions will be made solely on the basis of job requirements, candidate qualifications, and organization need.
Apply to the job board, attention: Human Resources, Lisa Saelhof
Apply ASAP as resumes will be considered on an ongoing basis upon receipt. Positions may be filled before the posting deadline. Only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time