Gateway Research Organization (GRO) is an innovative, producer-driven, non-profit research organization that conducts agricultural research, demonstrations and provides extension services to producers in the Northwest region of Alberta. Work is done in the areas of livestock, forages, cereals, oilseeds, and pulses.
GRO is seeking a candidate with a strong knowledge of the research on soil management practices, crop rotation and cereals-oilseed-forages crop suitable for Western Canadian region. The main role is to assist farmers and other land managers make the best economic and sustainable use of the land. The incumbent must be able to work independently and make informed decisions in an office and field environment.
· Soil Conservation Analyst (SCA) will take measurements, estimates, and information about soil carbon sequestration, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and collect soil samples to determine the extent and cause of land degradation from the identified area of marginal land under continuous cropping.
· The SCA will perform surveys, evaluation and advice producers for adoption of management alternatives to improve the sustainability of marginal lands. For example, recommending a farmer to grow certain crops (forages instead grains) or develop a crop rotation for best use of the marginal lands.
· Ability to work within budgets, develop presentations and conduct extension activities such as tours and workshops to farmers, agriculture businesses, and other groups in the region to promote the benefits of the new adoptive changes to protect land and implement strategies for sustainable use.
· Conduct duties in a professional and friendly manner with minimum daily supervision and provide consultations to the producers in renewable energy options, liaise with local industry, and develop newsletters, articles and other extension materials for social media sites.
· Minimum education required will be a university undergraduate degree in Agriculture/Soil Science/Natural Resource Management/Land Reclamation. However, preference will be given to graduate student with Masters or a Ph.D.
· At least two year of experience with soil sampling and knowledge of Canadian cropping or forage system will be a great asset.
This is a temporary full-time appointment (2 to 3 years). A comprehensive Health & Dental benefits will be provided.
Competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please direct any inquiries to General Manager, Sandeep Nain at the contact information below, or send a complete resume, including a cover letter, stating qualifications, experience along with expected remuneration. Selected candidates will be contacted for the interview.
Gateway Research Organization
Office: 9319, 110 A street, Westlock, AB, T7P 2P6
Phone: (780) 349 - 4546
Cell: (780) 249-1440
Reference ID: SCA#1
Application deadline: 2020-07-05
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract
- Dental Care
- Disability Insurance
- Extended Health Care
- Flexible Schedule
- Life Insurance
- On-site Parking
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Care
- Work From Home
- Annual cropping (Forage/Soil health)): 2 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19