In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position. The Patient Services Clerk performs a variety of clerical functions related to patient care and operation of the nursing unit. Duties include acting as a communication link for the Unit by transcribing and processing physician’s orders, communicating with other departments and hospitals, coordinating patient appointments, arranging patient tests and receiving results, and answering telephones. Assembles and maintains patient charts and performs data entry functions. All duties are performed within established guidelines, policies and procedures.
1. Answers telephone, takes and relays messages, calling/paging appropriate personnel to telephone for physician’s orders and patient diagnoses reports, and sends/receives faxed information.
2. Enters patient information into Cerner system for discharge, transfers to other facilities and transfers between units.
3. Makes appropriate arrangements for patients requiring procedures, both inside and outside the facility such as laboratory tests, CT scans and ultrasounds by booking appointment times, booking ambulance as instructed, and informing applicable care provider.
4. Transcribes and processes physicians’ orders to appropriate forms i.e.: medication record, kardex, for laboratory tests, medications, diagnostic tests and treatments for Registered Nurse (RN)’s approval. Notifies primary RN of stat orders.
5. Checks all charts for any physician’s orders not processed by the end of every shift, processes these orders as necessary, and notifies the charge nurse immediately with any questions related to unprocessed orders.
6. Prepares charts for new admissions by performing such duties as making identification labels, imprinting chart sheets and attaching physicians’ standing orders,
7. Maintains patient records including filing loose reports as they arrive on the nursing unit, retrieving previous charts for mothers of newborns from Health Records if requested. Dismantles patient charts on discharge or transfer by distributing and filing sheets according to established procedures and ensuring all patient’s documents in chart.
8. Prepares charts for patient transfers to other facilities, by photocopying necessary information or sending information via FAX or by computer.
9. Completes demographic information on forms for Vital Statistics including physician’s Notice of Birth, in accordance with hospital policies and Vital Statistics regulations.
10. Notifies departments such as Dietary and Housekeeping, of patient’s requirements including discharge or transfer.
11. Performs related clerical duties such as compiling, preparing and maintaining statistics under the direction of the Program Manager, producing reports, delivering and picking up items, maintaining departmental levels of stationery and office supplies, notifying appropriate personnel of equipment repair and maintenance, and preparing necessary documentation.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
Grade 12, medical terminology and graduation from an approved Nursing Unit Clerk program plus one year’s recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to utilize a variety of computer software applications.
- Ability to keyboard 40 w.p.m
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.