2 positions: 1 Temporary + 1 Permanent
Under the general direction of the Director of Food & Nutrition Services, serves breakfast, lunch, and supper and/or assists in the preparation and processing of meals as required. Maintains a clean kitchen environment.
- Sets Dining Room tables.
- Dishes and serves meals, snacks & beverages as required including those for special diets.
- Takes temperature of food before service and records them.
- Transports food carts to serveries on resident floors.
- Restocks serveries and recreation fridges as required.
- Washes dishes, pots, pans, food carts, and floors.
- Removes garbage and recycling.
- Maintains all kitchen areas to the standard of cleanliness as required by Public Health Standards.
- Takes temperatures of fridges/freezers and dishwashers and records them.
- Ensures proper use and care of equipment.
- Demonstrates willingness to co-operate with colleagues, supervisors and members of other departments.
- Demonstrates consideration towards residents, visitors, Home's policies and procedures.
- Ensures that the standards and laws of Kashruth (Jewish dietary laws) are maintained.
- Ensures the privacy, dignity, and confidentiality of the residents.
- Demonstrates ability to interpret verbal and written communications and instruction.
- Reports for work on time.
- Appears clean, neat, well-groomed and properly attired according to the dress code for the department.
- Attends in-services and continuing education.
- Reviews core competency in-services as required by legislation.
- Ensures the Health and Safety of residents, staff, volunteers and visitors by following safe practices and proper procedures.
- Respects and follows the proper lines of authority when reporting events or handling disputes while utilizing the process of appeal if necessary.
- Performs any duties as required that are necessary for the welfare of the residents and efficient operation of the Home.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Current Safe Food Handler’s Certificate (can be done online)
- Food Services Worker Certificate (required for permanent role)
- General knowledge of methods of food and meal preparation as required by the Food & Nutrition Services Department.
- Able to work both with direction and independently.
- Work well within a team
- Trained and conversant in the safe use and lifting techniques of food supplies and kitchen utensils/equipment.
- A neat appearance is essential for this position.
- Prior Food Services experience within a Long-Term Care setting is considered an asset
- General computer skills
- Good command of the English language, (Read, write, speak)
- Organizational, planning, time management, and multi-tasking skills.
Interested applicants should apply with their current resume along with a cover letter explaining how they meet the requirements of the role.
Successful candidates/new employees will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination, subject to reasonable accommodation measures for protected grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Where notified in advance, Hillel Lodge will accommodate the needs of job applicants throughout its recruitment and selection processes in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Proof of TB, COVID-19 clearance and Vulnerable Sector Police background check will be required upon hire. Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 6 months
Part-time hours: 0 - 15 per week
Salary: From $21.15 per hour
- Casual dress
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Ottawa, ON K2A 4G7: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- dietary aide: 1 year (preferred)
- Food Handler Certificate (required)
- Food Services Worker Certificate (preferred)