IMAGINE a hospital where everyone is committed to excellence. We did. We are. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest patient care. At North York General Hospital (NYGH), we put our patients first in everything we do. We are achieving a new standard of excellence in integrated patient-centered care and as one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals, we are building on our academic foundation through enhanced education, research and innovation. North York General Hospital is part of North York Toronto Health Partners, a collaborative partnership with patients, primary care, and community partners, a first- generation Ontario Health Team, driving the development of a locally integrated health system to serve the community. As part of our dynamic team, you too can stand out and be amazing! At North York General, our team is making a world of difference.
Dietetic Attendant, Inpatient Food Services:
Your goal in this position is to perform meal selection, meal assembly, meal delivery, collection and to clean up for patient services. You are able to communicate effectively through speaking, reading and writing. You have knowledge of food safety and sanitation/institution kitchen equipment. You’re able to work independently and as a team, you communicate effectively with colleagues, staff and patients, and provide excellent customer service. You are comfortable with operation of computerized and/or electronic devices. This position supports the Hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and families.
On a practical level, you will
- Work safely in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, Steamplicity program
- Pick, portion and plate food items accurately according to tallies and/or menus
- Accurately record, document temperatures and other required information
- Operate ware washing machines
- Strip, wash, and store dishes and utensils
- Clean work area and equipment
- Deliver food trucks to patient units, assemble, deliver and collect trays & deliver nourishments to patients
- Heat food items to required temperature
- Sort and wrap cutlery
- Store food, paper and cleaning supplies
- Prepare cold food: sandwiches, salad, salad plates, tube feedings and nourishments; portion desserts
- Issue frozen, refrigerated and dry food supplies according to computer requisitions
- Visit patients for meal selection using a computerized device
- A high school diploma or equivalent required.
- Public Health Food Handler’s Certificate, Mandatory
- Strong customer service background and prior work experience in institutional food service an asset
Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer
Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. These are Part Time Regular positions, 22.50 hours bi-weekly, 4 & 8 hour shifts, day shifts, evening shifts including every weekend, in the Food Services Department. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package which includes pay in lieu of benefits, vacation pay and the opportunity to join the Hospital Pension Plan.
How to Apply
Think you're the right person for the job? Here's your first chance to show us why:
Ensure to meet the deadline - only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.