Job Posting #890857
Toronto General Hospital
$85,000 - $95,500 per annum (to commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN Compensation Policy)
37.5 hours per week
The Physician Assistant (PA) is a medically educated health professional who practices medicine under the supervision of a registered physician in a variety of clinical settings. At present, in Ontario, this is in accordance with the delegated medical act. The PA-Physician relationship will be formalized in a practice agreement consisting of a signed acknowledgement of the PA policy, a detailed listing of the delegated tasks constituting the PA’s scope of practice at that point in time, and all relevant medical directives.
Working under the direction of the supervising Cardiology Attending, and in accordance with the delegated medical act, the principal responsibilities of the PA may include but are not limited to: conducting patient interviews; taking medical histories; performing physical examinations; ordering and interpreting tests; diagnosing and treating illness; performing therapeutic or diagnostic procedures, providing medical orders and prescriptions; and counseling on preventative health care. The PA will work with the supervising Cardiology Attending to ensure that all aspects of the care provided are clinically indicated and in keeping with best practice guidelines. Throughout their careers, PAs also take part in quality improvement initiatives, policy development, education, research, health advocacy, professional development, and leadership opportunities.
Working under the supervision and medical directive of the Cardiology Attending, the PA would be responsible for looking after patients seen on the Cardiology Consultation Service and Cardiology Ward at the Toronto General Hospital. The PA would be responsible for triaging consults received by service, seeing new consults and providing follow ups, and work alongside a multidisciplinary clinical team (including residents/medical students, as available). Other responsibilities of the PA are attending weekly ambulatory cardiology clinic (following cardiology consults patient post discharge) and one to two in-house call per month (on the Cardiology Ward) as and when needed.
- At minimum, a Bachelor’s Degree in an accredited Physician Assistant program or recognized equivalent
- At minimum, three (3) years practical and related work experience
- Must be a Canadian Certified Physician Assistant (CCPA) and/or a American Certified Physician Assistant (PA-C)
- Must be a current member of the Canadian Association of Physician Assistants (CAPA)
- Maintain certification and CCPA/PA-C designation by completing the required CPD/CME credits
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards
- Exercise initiative and good judgement with ability to multi-task
- Compliance with confidentiality requirements
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies
- Patient service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand
- Effective patient service skills required
- Excellent time management skills required
- Excellent decision-making, problem recognition and problem solving skills required
- Excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills required
- Program planning and evaluation methodology skills required
- Commitment to collaborative practice required
- Ability to work effectively independently and under stressful conditions required
- Ability to utilize information technology required
- Ability to interpret and communicate appropriate policies and procedures to staff
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. Please also attach unofficial transcripts. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.