Job Number: 84229
Primary Location: Ontario-Hamilton
This position will be located at: McMaster University Medical Centre
Organization: MCH-Oth Critical Care & Amb
Status: Regular Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Number of Openings: 1
Union Code: CUPE 7800
Minimum Salary: 25.9801 Hourly
Maximum Salary: 26.5102
Post Date: Oct 21, 2020, 11:00:00 PM
Close Date (Period for Applying) - External: Oct 28, 2020, 10:59:00 PM
The Ear Nose & Throat Clinic at McMaster University Medical Centre provides both Pediatric and Adult level care. The clinic provides care in all areas of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, including pediatric ENT (ears, nose and throat), head and neck surgery and oncology, rhinology, skull base surgery, otology, neurotology, facial plastic and skin cancer surgery, laryngology and general otolaryngology. The clinic also provides, voice audiology, swallowing, tonsillectomy assessments and therapies, as well as surgical care relative to Otolaryngology to children aged 0-18 years. The clinic is dynamic and fast-paced providing acute care in a family-centered environment.
As a member of the healthcare team, the Business Clerk provides clerical support to patients, families and care providers. The Business Clerk is familiar with, and proficient using the Community-Wide Scheduling to coordinate and schedule patient appointments. Other functions of the job include answering multiple incoming lines and directing these calls appropriately, greeting patients and families, and responding to various types of inquiries from the care teams and/or patients and families. Additional duties will be included as assigned.
Schedule Work Hours
Monday to Sunday; days/evenings
1. Grade 12 or equivalent
2. Graduate of community college secretarial or office administration program.
3. Minimum of one year experience in a Business Clerk role that included scheduling and booking patient appointments in Community Wide Scheduling.
4. Medical Terminology Certificate 1 and 2 or demonstrated knowledge equivalent to the Medical Terminology Certificate 1 and 2 acquired in a different Business Clerk position, which may be subject to testing.
5. Demonstrated knowledge and skills in using Meditech, Community Wide Scheduling, MS Office, MS Access, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Exchange, MS PowerPoint and Sovera.
6. Keyboarding minimum of 40 wpm.
7. Demonstrated excellence in communication skills (verbal and written), interpersonal, public relations and problem-solving skills to support a fast paced clinic environment.
8. Mathematical skills related to clinic data and scheduling.
9. Demonstrated ability to set priorities and organize work accordingly.
10. Demonstrated ability to deal with various hospital departments effectively and collaboratively.
11. Demonstrated ability to appreciate the confidential nature of the position.
12. Ability to sit for long periods with focused attention using a computer, repetitive keyboarding, repetitive bending and reaching.
Hamilton Health Sciences fosters a culture of patient and staff safety, whereby all employees are guided by our Mission, Vision, Values, and Values Based Code of Conduct. Hamilton Health Sciences is a teaching hospital and all staff and physicians are expected to support students and other learners.
To be considered for this opportunity applicants must apply during the posting period. All internal and external applicants may ONLY apply via the Careers website.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application processes, please contact HR Services at 905-521-2100, Ext. 46947 for assistance. If the applicant requires a specific accommodation because of a disability during an interview, the applicant will need to advise the hiring manager when scheduling the interview and the appropriate accommodations can be made.
This competition is open to all qualified applicants, however, qualified internal applicants will be considered first. Past performance will be considered as part of the selection process. If you are a previous employee of Hamilton Health Sciences, please note: the circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment
Proficiency in both Official Languages, French and English, is considered an asset
If this position is temporary, selection for this position will be as per the outlined Collective Agreements:
Article 30 (k), CUPE Collective Agreement
Article 10.7 (d), ONA Collective Agreement
Article 13.01 (b) (ii), OPSEU 273 Collective Agreement
Article 14.04, OPSEU 209 Collective Agreement
Article 2.07 and Article 13, PIPSC RT Collective Agreement