Job Number: 80609
Primary Location: Ontario-Hamilton
This position will be located at: Offsite Location
Organization: ONTARIO CRITICALL
Status: Regular Part-time
Hours per week: 11.25
Number of Openings: 1
Union Code: CUPE 7800
Minimum Salary: 27.7057 Hourly
Maximum Salary: 28.2710
Post Date: Feb 19, 2020, 5:00:00 AM
Close Date (Period for Applying) - External: Feb 26, 2020, 4:59:00 AM
The CritiCall Ontario Program (CritiCall) is a single, province-wide, one-number-to-call to access "resources" for critically ill patients. This 24-hour-a-day physician consultation and patient referral service links hospitals and medical resources across the province of Ontario and provides crucial services for physicians and other care providers. The scope of CritiCall services include: 24-hour-a-day medical 911 physician consultation and patient referral service for hospital based Ontario physicians. A capacity management system documenting the status of and access to acute care beds. Implementation, training and problem solving assistance for the Critical Care Information System (CCIS) to Ontario hospital critical care units.
The Call Taker facilitates emergency patient referral and communication services for healthcare providers in Ontario. Responsibilities include; communicating effectively with stakeholders, service providers and other programs and services and with community, regional and provincial partners for information sharing and networking; maintaining multiple comprehensive data systems which require multi-tasking and prioritizing according to patient needs. This position requires understanding of all age group care needs and all disciplines in healthcare. Call Takers actively participate in ongoing quality assurance/improvements as well as identify any risks/needs identified during case facilitation. Demonstrated excellence in effective communication/interpersonal skills and team work. Ability to de-escalate difficult conversations is essential.
Schedule Work Hours
days, evenings, nights, weekends, holidays
1. Minimum High School Grade, 12 education
2. Secondary education in a related discipline, such as; Business Administration, Office Administration-Health Sciences
3. 2 years of recent experience required in public safety, health related fields, including but not limited to EMS, Police and Fire communications, Paramedicine, Nursing and Telecommunications, working in a Customer Service environment.
4. Successful completion and documentation of Medical Terminology course.
5. Keyboarding 40 wpm.
6. Demonstrated excellence in effective communication and interpersonal skills.
7. Demonstrated proficient use of automated telecommunications systems and personal computers, call centre system applications experience preferred.
8. Demonstrated excellence in problem-solving abilities, conflict resolution and extensive knowledge of provincial hospitals and their resources.
9. Demonstrated excellence in the ability to apply analysis and critical thinking to the selection of an appropriate medical specialist based on information provided by the caller.
10. Demonstrated excellence in the ability to recognize the needs of callers, the acuity of situations and respond effectively.
11. Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize according to patient care needs.
Hamilton Health Sciences fosters a culture of patient and staff safety, whereby all employees are guided by our Mission, Vision, Values, and Values Based Code of Conduct. Hamilton Health Sciences is a teaching hospital and all staff and physicians are expected to support students and other learners.
To be considered for this opportunity applicants must apply during the posting period. All internal and external applicants may ONLY apply via the Careers website.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application processes, please contact Human Resources Operations at 905-521-2100, Ext. 46947 for assistance. If the applicant requires a specific accommodation because of a disability during an interview, the applicant will need to advise the hiring manager when scheduling the interview and the appropriate accommodations can be made.
This competition is open to all qualified applicants, however, qualified internal applicants will be considered first. Past performance will be considered as part of the selection process. If you are a previous employee of Hamilton Health Sciences, please note: the circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment
Proficiency in both Official Languages, French and English, is considered an asset
If this position is temporary, selection for this position will be as per the outlined Collective Agreements:
Article 30 (k), CUPE Collective Agreement
Article 10.7 (d), ONA Collective Agreement
Article 13.01 (b) (ii), OPSEU 273 Collective Agreement
Article 14.04, OPSEU 209 Collective Agreement
Article 2.07 and Article 13, PIPSC RT Collective Agreement