Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Please note, this is a temporary full-time contract position with an expected end date of September 7, 2022, covering a leave of absence. Secondments are welcome.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) is one of four departments in the Faculty of Engineering. Faculty and staff in the department support and foster the educational and research pursuits of undergraduate and graduate engineering students, while providing the best student experience.
The Graduate Affairs Assistant provides support for the effective and efficient administration of the graduate programs within the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering. The role will provide a first point of contact for inquiries, providing information to students on matters related to the graduate programs from the time of inquiry through application, orientation, program progression, examination and post-graduation. The Graduate Affairs Assistant will also provide support and guidance regarding University, School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and departmental policies and procedures, as well as provide assistance for the recruitment and admission processes of students in all graduate programs. In addition, the Graduate Affairs Assistant will coordinate program progression, scheduling of graduate courses and exams, graduate student milestones, adjudication, grade submissions, and program review processes (such as IQAP) and will assist with the teaching assistant application system, provide back-up for graduate student funding processes, program promotion, and coordinating seminars and workshops as required.
- 3-year Community College Diploma in Business Management/Administration
- University degree is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 3 years’ experience providing administrative and customer service support in an academic environment
- 1 year experience administratively supporting an academic program, preferably a graduate program
- 1 year of experience in a financial administration role (payroll, funding, bookkeeping, etc.) preferred
- Knowledge of and ability to manage social media platforms, communication and engagement strategies for student populations
- Verbal communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Demonstrated ability take initiative, to work independently and follow through on work assignments
- Ability to apply active listening to hear and understand the complete message being communicated
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Ability to establish rapport with people from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to understand and resolve external and internal partner issues
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Ability to process information with a high degree of accuracy, and follow formal business practices with high attention to detail
- Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively communicate University guidelines, policies and practices to key stakeholders
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized and effective personal work environment
- Adapts readily and effectively to changing priorities and demands
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, faculty members, students and the public
- Ability to make appropriate decisions and resolve issues by identifying the critical elements of a problem situation and considering each aspect
- Ability to interact professionally with students, staff, faculty, and other members of the University community
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills to complete accurate calculations
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Intermediate proficiency required in Microsoft Office in order to prepare emails, announcements and to input data into spreadsheets and databases
- Familiarity with software applications used by Western preferred – e.g. PeopleSoft, Cascade, OWL, Mustang Market
- Familiarity with Western policies and guidelines related to undergraduate and graduate student affairs and with academic calendar and programs offered at Western is an asset
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first consideration to all qualified UWOSA applicants.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.