Victoria Women’s Transition House - DEVELOPMENT MANAGER, Victoria BC
Helping Women and Children in our Community
Located in beautiful Victoria, BC, Victoria Women’s Transition House (VWTH) is an inspirational workplace, working to support women and their children fleeing intimate partner violence and abuse. We operate an 18-bed emergency shelter, third-stage housing for older women and a variety of counselling and support programs for women with specialized programs for older women and for children who witness abuse. VWTH is a diverse non-profit, committed to treating clients and staff with respect; offering competitive compensation and benefits; and supporting a healthy work/life balance.
Job Summary: We are looking for an energetic Development Manager to join our small fundraising team. Reporting to the Development Director, the Development Manager is responsible for a comprehensive fund development program supported by marketing and communications initiatives. This hands-on position involves grant writing/reporting, co-ordination of direct mail/annual campaigns, marketing and communications activities to support fundraising initiatives, third party event oversight and supervision of the Development Office Assistant. We raise about $1.1M each fiscal on an operating budget of $3.2M. The Development Manager is a member of the VWTH Leadership Team and reports to the Development Director.
This is a full-time position, 35-hours per week with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the research and identification of prospects and additional funding opportunities
- Ensure that submissions meet goals, mission and current organizational need
- Write, edit, submit and monitor grant proposals as well as progress and final reports
- Grant writing and Oversight
- Annual Campaign (direct mail) - develop and prepare all prospect and renewal materials required for annual campaign as well as any other campaigns initiated by the Development Department
- Write solicitation letter and accompanying newsletter or other support pieces
- Coordinate list-pull from database with Development Office Assistant
- Liaise with graphic designer, printer and mail house
- Track expense budget
- Marketing and Communications
- Write newsletters, monthly E-news copy, brochure copy, website text, annual report, op-ed pieces, media advisories, articles for publication
- Oversee and update VWTH website
- Oversee and manage VWTH social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc)
- Some public speaking
- Supervise Development Office Assistant
- Leadership Team – as a member of the Leadership Team, attend and participate in meetings as required
- Other – undertake other duties and special projects as required, where appropriate and as time permits
Qualifications: This position requires a proven record of accomplishment of successful non-profit fundraising experience with three to five years of progressive responsibilities. Experience in grant writing, marketing and communications is helpful; strong writing skills are essential. Administrative skills and senior computer skills are required including Outlook, Excel, Word, (budgets, graphics and formatting) and comfort with donor management software.
Education, Training and Experience: University degree is essential and certificate in fundraising (i.e., CFRE or in process of attaining CFRE or other designation) is preferred.
Job Skills and Abilities Essential knowledge:
- grant writing
- annual campaign management, including direct mail
- special events
- communications, social media and advertising
- skill in handling sensitive topics while maintaining confidentiality
Job Skills and Abilities:
- strong grant writing abilities
- superior strategic, organizational, supervisory and communication skills
- superior writing and public relations skills
- superior interpersonal skills for interactions with diverse groups – staff, volunteers, donors, and community
- ability to take initiative, manage multiple and diverse projects and deadlines
- work well under pressure; comfortable working both independently and as part of a team
- skill and experience in working with Boards and volunteers
Additional Information: The Development Manager is required to maintain confidentiality regarding organizational operations, fiscal management and donor information
- Use of own vehicle is required
- Scheduling flexibility, including evening and weekend work, is required
- A current criminal record check is required
This position is open until filled. Applications are reviewed in date order received.
Please submit cover letter with resume to Susan K.E. Howard
Job Type: Full-time