Our Mission: Legible will empower and connect authors and readers through open access to a global reading and publishing platform. Legible is making books beautiful and accessible.
Our Community Values: Accessibility, Sustainability, Beauty, and Integrity
At Legible, we make books easy to access from anywhere on the globe, with nothing but a browser and an internet or cell connection - no special devices necessary! No paper, no waste. Just beautifully written words on exquisitely designed digital pages.
Books have always been, as Stephen King put it, “a uniquely portable magic,” and we aim to make them even more portable - to connect more authors and readers around the world than ever before. And to bring new and diverse voices to the readers who most need to hear them.
About the role
We are looking for an exceptional Group Product Manager to join the Legible team. As Group Product Manager you will develop effective, growth-centered mentor relationships with product managers, through regular 1:1s and informal interactions. You will be the voice for your team while interacting with other departments across the company. Most importantly, you will be working with the Head of Product to plan quarterly product visions and goals into a roadmap for the design and developer teams. If you are someone who has been through and enjoyed creating something in a high-growth environment, this is the position for you!
What makes this job different
Currently, we have a team of three product managers, we are adding another now! The role of Group Product Manager would be 75% individual contributor and 25% people management, we still need your skills to help us create a fantastic platform. The exciting thing about Legible is that we are in constant communication to see what roles we think we will need over the next 12 months and you will play a part in growing and developing the product management team.
What you’ll be doing
- You oversee and support the Product Managers in the day to day activities, which includes coaching, mentoring, and providing direction to maintain a healthy, collaborative culture in line with the company values as we navigate through growth
- Hold regular 1:1s with every member of your team and create Individual Growth Plans with monthly check-ins.
- Articulating a compelling vision and roadmap - you'll summarize the need, value, and ROI while getting others excited about the opportunities ahead
- Navigate business priority and ensure all work is tracked, estimated, and balanced across team members and stakeholders to meet deadlines
- Alongside the product managers, working closely with the Design and Engineering teams to launch projects and ship solutions that drive business outcomes and customer value
- Communicate the progress and needs of the Product, Design, and Engineering teams to senior leadership, especially to the Head of Product, on a consistent and productive basis
- Unblock and protect product development teams from interruptions and distractions, provide support, facilitate conversations with other teams and departments
- Connecting the dots across experiences and teams to create a cohesive reader, publishing, and platform services experience
Some key things about you
- Proven track record of successful SaaS product sales growth by optimizing product design, development and management within the B2B/B2C software industry
- Enjoy developing and analyzing user stories, epics and/or storyboards working closely with business owners, business partners and the development team
- Leadership experience and conflict resolution abilities
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Exceptional ability of project management practices and techniques
- Value teamwork: you embrace collaboration with cross-functional and distributed teams
- Communicate efficiently and carefully both verbally and in written form
- Eagerness to experiment and never stop learning
- The ability to take and give feedback with grace
- It’s great if you have a self-starter attitude: you’re inquisitive and eager by nature
- You enjoy fast-paced work environments
- Enjoy working with multiple departments - you’ll be the face of your team, you enjoy providing updates on their behalf
- The idea of a role growing with you sounds exciting—there are so many opportunities that will open up in-house
Key experience and skills
- 5-8 years experience as a Product Management, Product Owner, Program Management
- 2+ years experience leading a product-focused team
- Experience with managing products in SaaS/Web/Mobile software
- Bachelor’s degree in business, computer science, software engineering, software development or related field
- Working in an agile, sprint-based environment is a plus
- Experience with working in a fast-growing or startup company
- Experience working in a publishing environment
About the team
The product management team of Legible is currently a powerful trio reporting to the Head of Product but also works extremely closely with the Development, Marketing and Publishing teams. So you’ll get a tonne of exposure to all the departments in the company and be a key player in making the Legible dream come true.
Legible is a startup with a heart - a company that values equity and diversity at its very core. It is somewhere you can come to grow and experience different areas of the business. We are a small but mighty team, who are just turning the page on a new and exciting chapter of growth.
- A flexible working schedule
- Great paid time off package, including a paid winter break!
- Positions you can grow and make your own
- A multitude of avenues for career growth and change
- An open-door policy, you can bring this up with confidence
- An inclusive working environment - anyone and everyone is welcome at Legible
- Community Values - We work together as a team to better our community. We are invested in making a difference
- Growing company with ample opportunity to be creative and collaborate on ideas
- Great team all driven by a passion for literature
“Systemic racism is a machine that runs whether we pull the levers or not, and by just letting it be, we are responsible for what it produces. We have to actually dismantle the machine if we want to make change.” — Ijeoma Oluo, So You Want to Talk About Race
At Legible, we strive for diversity and inclusion to create a genuinely healthy and equitable workplace for everyone. We are committed to the ongoing process of building a culture of respect at every level, ensuring that everyone feels safe, supported, and valued.
Let's be real: employee handbooks always talk a lot about diversity and inclusion, but in the actual day-to-day, employees indulge in microaggressions toward BIPOC colleagues, claim that “sexism goes both ways,” and so on. At Legible, we know that oppression is systemic and structural. Cis privilege, non-disabled privilege, white privilege, male privilege—these are real and have consequences for people. We're aware that being marginalized at work causes real distress, especially when accountability doesn't seem to exist.
How is Legible going to dismantle the machine and what makes us different? It starts here, everyone has an opportunity to join Legible and make a difference - our hiring process is fair and equitable. As a company, we will be devoted to providing regular training and info sessions to our employees to ensure that we are aware of our privileges and will work to address microaggressions on a daily basis. One look at Legible.com will show how committed we are to diversity and inclusivity. We are a company that will beautifully entwine, celebrates, and support diverse cultures and varying beliefs.
A few years ago, an interviewer asked Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator of the Broadway smash-hit Hamilton, why his cast was so diverse. Miranda replied, "That's just what happens when you go looking for the very best people!" At Legible, we couldn't agree more!
Legible recognizes the right for human beings to self-identify. You are valued, safe, and supported.
To be considered for this position, you must be eligible to work in Canada and pass a background check.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $110,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Store discount
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Work from home
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
- Are you eligible to work legally in Canada without sponsorship?
- Product Management: 3 years (required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19