With these two words, Vertex makes the promise that we will always be versatile in developing solutions to our clients’ unique needs and that we will always demonstrate expertise in our designated fields.
Since 1962, Vertex has been a leading North American provider of environmental services. With over 50 years of expertise, Vertex helps clients achieve their development goals through our versatile suite of services. From the initial site selection, consultation and regulatory approval, through the construction, operation and maintenance phases, to conclusion and environmental cleanup, Vertex offers a diverse range of services throughout the life cycle of our clients’ projects.
Vertex is currently accepting applications for a full-time Conservation Officer (Fish & Wildlife) for upcoming long-term projects, located throughout Northern Alberta. As the Conservation Officer (Fish & Wildlife) you will be responsible for assisting in the areas of wildlife migration and wildlife monitoring. This position reports directly to the Operational Manager.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a Conservation Officer/ Fish and Wildlife or
- 3 years of Environmental Science, Biology, or related background
- Traditional Ecological knowledge with field experience
- Extensive field experience in wildlife mitigation
- Ability to think logically, analyze facts, statements and evidence in order to come to a reasonable conclusion
- An ability to work within a team environment in order to meet end results
- Ability to handle periods of isolation
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Tact, diplomacy and the ability to deal effectively with difficult people and situations
- Good health and physical conditioning
- A valid driver’s license and drivers’ abstract
- Experienced operating ATV/ARGO vehicles
- Hold a valid firearms license
- Ability to conduct non-contact aversive conditioning of wildlife
- Ability to identify wildlife migrations concerns as they arise
- Identify and report potential hazardous or predatory wildlife situations
- Attend daily toolbox meetings
- Conduct sweeps of areas to identify wildlife dens, in order to prevent den disturbance
- Conduct pre-job wildlife hazard assessment of area(s)
This position will be based throughout Northern Alberta.
When applying please indicate the following information on your application:
Job Requisition: 003 – 181
Job Title: Conservation Officer (Fish & Wildlife)
*We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted*
Job Type: Full-time
- environmental science: 3 years (Required)
- extensive field work in wildlife mitigation: 2 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- Sherwood Park, AB (Preferred)
- Driver's Licence (Preferred)