Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Please note, this is a temporary full-time contract opportunity with an expected end date of July 16, 2021.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Western’s Department of Communications and Public Affairs joins teams of dedicated internal and external communications staff to represent the university on a campus wide, local, national and global scale. We also assist Western groups, departments and faculties with media relations, brochures, advertisements, social media, proposals and comprehensive communications campaigns and issues management.
The Social Media Officer will collaborate within the Department of Communications & Public Affairs to support Western’s digital communication goals of strategic storytelling, constituent engagement, knowledge mobilization, brand building and community communications. The incumbent will support the engagement of Western stakeholders/followers through the use of digital and social media channels. The Officer will engage the overall campus community in support of Western’s engagement goals, and will work collaboratively to implement a variety of engagement strategies. The incumbent will work in collaboration to research best practices for creating meaningful engagement with individuals and current students through targeted generational programming, communications and digital engagement strategies.
- 3 Year Community College Diploma in Media Information Technology, English, Public Relations, Communications or related field
- Undergraduate Degree in Media Information Technology, English, Public Relations, Communications or related field is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 3 years’ experience coordinating social media accounts in a professional setting
- Experience working in the post-secondary sector is preferred
- Strong expertise with theory and best practices in media relations and public affairs
- Advanced skills with e-communication tools, including website and graphic design principles, and with social media platforms relevant to student populations
- Ability to apply creativity and recommend strategies for engagement initiatives in response to cultural and social trends
- Excellent attention to detail and proofreading abilities with an excellent command of the English language
- Discretion, tact and maturity to deal with public relations issues related to higher education
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet tight deadlines and adapt to changing priorities
- Verbal communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Ability to analyze metrics and consider past communications to craft engaging written communications using social media or other appopriate channels
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized and effective personal work environment
- Ability to work within a flexible schedule to accommodate the University’s events and activities
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Advanced skills with Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Premiere
- Possess a reputation for resourcefulness with a strong sense of accountability and initiative
- Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.