The City of Prince Albert has an Term employment opportunity of up to seventeen (17) months available as a Planner in the Planning and Development Services Department.
The Planner is responsible to assist in the development of studies, master plans, policies, programs and bylaws; develop and prepare reports and recommendations on various projects; and provide advice, information and interpretation to the public and various stakeholders, on planning related matters. This position plays a key role in the current and long range planning activities of the City of Prince Albert.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide sound planning advice for the interpretation of bylaws, policies, studies and other planning documents as necessary.
- Act as a liaison between the Planning Department, other Departments, the development/construction industry, First Nations, external agencies and the public.
- Effective administration and implementation of the Zoning Bylaw, Subdivision Bylaw, Official Community Plan, and other planning documents as necessary.
- Assist in the preparation of various studies, planning documents, and master plans.
- Arrange for, attend and present at public presentations, open houses, and other events as necessary.
- Respond to inquiries on land use plans, bylaws, policies, development agreements and other land use documents.
- Process subdivision, rezoning, bylaw amendment and development permit applications, including the coordination of necessary referrals, and the preparation of reports and recommendations.
- Participate and provide sound planning advice as member and/or Secretary for various Boards and Committees.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in a field related to regional and urban planning.
- One (1) year directly related professional planning experience.
- Membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP).
Key Knowledge, Technical Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of urban planning
- Knowledge of Official Community Plan, Zoning Bylaw
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to work independently and manage time and tasks effectively
- Ability to work efficiently with databases, spreadsheets, and web-based applications.