Job Title: TackleShare Crew Member
Application Deadline: Sunday, March 1, 2020 at 11:59pm
**Please Note: All positions are dependent upon external funding, yet to be received by the OFAH **
Potential Start Date: April 20, 2020
Location: Peterborough, ON
Duration: 11 weeks – 35 hours per week (typically Wednesday to Sunday)
Rate of Pay: $14.00 per hour + 4% vacation pay
Number of Positions: 2
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) is the oldest and largest non-profit, non-government fish and wildlife conservation organization in Canada. The OFAH represents more than 100,000 members, subscribers and supporters. The OFAH TackleShare program is a national award-winning program that is designed to encourage new and novice anglers to go fishing by providing access to fishing gear from over 140 loaner-sites throughout Ontario. In addition, the OFAH Travelling TackleShare program visits Ontario Parks and special community events throughout the province to provide fishing lessons and fishing outreach.
- Deliver the Travelling TackleShare interactive educational workshop, through a series of mediums. The workshop will focus on teaching kids about fishing, fish identification, aquatic habitat and the threat of invading species, water safety, as well as the importance of conservation;
- Drive the Travelling TackleShare company vehicle across Ontario to deliver an interactive educational workshop at schools and public events. Loan out fishing equipment to the public, teaching the public how to cast, educating them on why fishing licences are important and why fishing helps our ecosystems. Perform basic quality control checklist at each loaner site (e.g. signage, display, correct materials being used, etc.);
- Respond to inquiries received for TackleShare and Travelling TackleShare in-person during school workshops and public events;
Prepare, organize and mail/courier all TackleShare equipment and promotional material to loaner sites;
- Maintain all Travelling TackleShare equipment, including a clean work and storage area. Perform weekly inventory counts and provide updates;
- Regular travel ranging from driving on major highways, to local highways, to rural gravel roads, to downtown Toronto, to remote boat launches;
- Regular overnight trips including staying in a motel/hotel; and
- Back up for the TackleShare Communications Assistant.
Education and Qualifications:
- Minimum of one year of college or university education in biology, fish and wildlife, environmental science or equivalent work-related experience in the relevant fields;
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and
- Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Confidence with instructing and interacting with public of all ages;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent reading and numeracy skills;
- Strong customer service, public relations, and public speaking skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability and willingness to work in a team environment;
- Ability to multi-task and problem solve; and
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Valid driver’s licence (class G);
- Valid fishing license;
- Valid standard first aid with level C CPR and AED certification (as a minimum);
- Valid criminal record check; and
- Valid OFAH membership.
- Education or experience in conservation awareness; and
- Active participation in fishing, hunting, and conservation.
Please submit in one document an OFAH TackleShare Application Form, (application form can be downloaded from our website, www.ofah.org/jobs) cover letter and résumé indicating how your skills and qualifications meet each of the requirements of this position to:
Attention: Fishing Programs Outreach Liaison
P.O. Box 2800
Peterborough, Ontario K9J 8L5
Fax: (705) 748-9577
The deadline for applications is March 1, 2020 at 11:59pm
NO TELEPHONE CALLS OR EMAIL INQUIRIES PLEASE
Only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters is an equal opportunity and accessible employer.
The OFAH is committed to providing accessible opportunities for all qualified job applicants. Should you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources at 705-748-6324 x245 or https://www.ofah.org/aoda/.
Reference ID: CSJ
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $14.00 /hour
- conservation awareness: 1 year (Preferred)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Required)
- criminal record check (Required)
- fishing (Required)
- standard first aid with level C CPR and AED (Required)
- driver's (class G) (Required)
- OFAH membership (Required)