Research & Policy Analyst
The Research & Policy Analyst works on addressinglabour market challenges, needs and opportunities in the Canadian digital economy, with a focus on smart city development and the increasing digitization of traditional sectors. The ideal candidate will have experience completing research and policy analysis, coupled with exceptional writing and communication skills. The candidate should also have strong problem-solving skills, and showcase agility in his/her ability to shift according to changing priorities and needs. This role can be based in Ottawa, Calgary or Vancouver. The role reports to the Senior Research Analysts.
Competencies & Responsibilities
Research, Analysis, Writing
- Finds, identifies and analyses relevant government data (i.e. StatsCan, provincial databases, open data, etc.) and relevant industry data (e.g., emerging technologies, job boards, etc.), in order to extract key trends related to the digital economy.
- Drafts and tests primary research tools such as key informant interview questionnaires and surveys.
- Researches relevant candidates for various advisory committees and taskforces, drafts member lists, and assists with outreach.
- Completes primary and secondary research and analysis, including key informant interviews, literature reviews, and prepares summaries of findings to be used in reports.
- Assists with writing reports, blogs, whitepapers, and other relevant material.
- Monitors relevant announcements and trends, and prepares briefs on policy implications.
- Assists with writing proposals and concept papers, where appropriate.
Program Planning, Stakeholder Management
- Assists with stakeholder outreach, including outreach for key informant interviews and surveys, Advisory Committees, Taskforces, and Roundtable events.
- Works with the ICTC Research & Policy team to develop project timelines, action items and tasks for the successful completion of project objectives/requirements.
- Works with the Project Coordinator to help track timelines, deliverables, and project needs.
- Responds to requests for information, and questions related to research products.
- Seeks to develop key relationships and business connections relevant to ICTC’s projects, goals, and organizational direction.
Essential Knowledge & Competencies
- 2+ years of experience working in research and/or policy analysis.
- Proven knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methodologies and practices.
- Experience related to policy analysis, with a strong understanding of public policy needs and priorities in Canada.
- Strong understanding and/or interest in digital technology and its labour market impacts.
- Strong critical thinking skills, with the ability to complete multi-factor analysis.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate with various stakeholders and explain research findings clearly and succinctly.
- Excellent teamwork skills, with the ability to think creatively to solve problems and work effectively with team members across the country.
- Experience working with government bodies.
- Experience working in a project-based environment.
- Experience working with Stats Canada data, particularly labour market data.
- Experience working in the technology sector.
- Masters degree in Economics, Political Science, Business, or a relevant field.
- Proficiency in French (Bilingual).
- Experience with STATA or R.
- Experience with macro-economic forecasting.
- Experience with Beyond20/20 software.
- Proficiency with Salesforce.
*Education & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study (Economics, Political Science, Business, other Social Sciences).
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
*Culture & Values
- Dependability — This role requires a high degree of reliability, organization and accountability, in order to meet project/funder deliverable requirements.
- Adaptability/Flexibility — This role requires being open to change, shifting requirements, feedback and possessing the ability to work with remote teams across Canada.
- Integrity — Often working with confidential information, this role requires a high level of ethical compliance and sound judgement/confidentiality.
- Drive/creativity — This role requires a strong capacity for self-motivation, initiative, and a desire to exceed expectations.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- research and/or policy analysis: 2 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- Calgary, AB (Preferred)