Interested candidates are asked to fill in an online job application at www.merriammusic.com/jobs in addition to applying through Indeed
About Merriam Music
Merriam Music Inc. is a family-owned and operated business based in Oakville Ontario. It was founded in 1988, and remains helmed by Alan Merriam, President & CEO. The business has two primary operating units: piano retail & distribution, and music education products and services. It currently operates 3 locations in the Greater Toronto Area.
Merriam's Piano Retail division is, by volume, the largest in Canada, and amongst the Top 20 globally. And the Merriam School of Music hosts 3000+ weekly students, making its Oakville location the largest private music school facility in Canada.
Base Salary: $70,000
Commissions: Personal + Team Performance
Total Earning Potential: $125,000
Reports to: Director of Sales and Strategic Marketing (Operationally) and The Executive Leadership Team (Strategy & Analysis)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a personal sales portfolio at levels defined by management, and as necessary to remain connected with market dynamics and trends
- Manage all aspects of the sales team's lead handling / conversion / client onboarding processes, and develop and utilize reporting mechanisms to maintain full visibility and awareness of those processes
- Grow and mentor the sales team as required to meet and exceed growth targets as set by management
- Make recommendations to management on improvements to all aspects of the sales cycle
- Participate in regular planning and analysis sessions with management regarding past and future performance, new lead generating ideas and initiatives, and product and service ideation and development
- Make use of provided technologies and as stipulated by management to execute on all job duties
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in the arts, humanities, business, or science
- 5+ years of successful personal sales with outstanding performance in any of the following industries: personal fitness, education sales, auto sales, luxury goods sales
- 3+ years of managerial experience in a sales manager role
- Strong technical knowledge and computer skills
- 2+ years of experience with a current cloud-based ERP and/or CRM system
- 2+ years of sales flow management using statistical reporting
- Effective B2B and B2C verbal and written communication and presentation skills when needed
- Ability to provide detailed verbal and statistical analysis on a variety of key performance indicators when needed
The company is unique as an employer for many reasons.
Application and Investment in Technology
Stemming from Mr. Merriam's own personal interest in cutting-edge technologies, Merriam Music has consistently been on the leading edge of technology investment since its inception. They were the first and largest digital piano dealer of Roland product in the late 1980's, introducing customers to MIDI technology for the first time, long before most homes even had personal computers.
They were amongst the first in the education and instrument retail worlds to use digital CRM and digital financial 'back-end' technology from ACCPAC. And by the early 2000's was investing close to 10% of its profits annually into digital marketing, SEO, and video production.
Since 2015, Merriam has invested in a fully-customized financial backend system built on the Salesforce platform, a customized online lesson portal and interface, and multiple websites and social/Youtube channels that currently receive a combined 1,000,000+ visitors monthly. In fact, our primary domain, MerriamMusic.com is now ranked in the top 10,000 websites by SEMRush.com, the leading SEO Research tool.
Applicants can expect a company that is responsive to technology trends, open minded to new tech-driven solutions, and supportive of the necessary evolution that's required to stay efficient and ahead.
A company for music lovers, by music lovers
Not everyone at Nike runs half-marathons. Not everyone at Boeing flies. But every key employee at Merriam Music has music in their blood at a deep level. The CEO is a pro-level jazz pianist and rhythm aficionado. The Director of Operations can teach you about subdivision, key signatures and tonality. Our IT director used to manage one of Toronto's most famous recording studios. Our Marketing and Sales director is also a professional performer and producer. Our CFO is in a professional bell choir. When your product is music, it's a different kind of company when it's built and run by musicians.
As a result, the mission of the company - to give a lifetime of music fluency to as many as possible - feels personal and connected to every daily activity. Everyone here universally loves and respects the role that music can play in peoples' lives.
A foundation built, a future of possibilities
Many SMB's - particularly family owned and managed - have trouble sustaining both growth and culture into the second generation of operation. Not only has succession planning and company sustainability been a priority for the last 5 years, but Merriam's 5 year growth plan places it squarely on the world stage...ready to exploit its many key differentiators.
Our core musical IP, namely our curriculum and 30 years of institutional classroom and school administrative knowledge, is virtually unique in the music industry. The internal marketing and content department has gained international recognition and leads our space, ready to place new and exciting services in front of a widening audience. Our piano retail division is breaking new ground in the areas of virtual and cross-country sales, along with our recently expanded footprint in the GTA.
The possibilities and areas of growth for employees therefore is wide and long-term. Talent in numerous disciplines are needed to propel this 3rd wave of growth for Merriam Music.
If you are seeking a mission-driven workplace, where merit and ideas are valued and supported, technology and innovation are embraced, and growth is constant, then we'd love to start a conversation with you.
Job Types: Full-time, Commission, Permanent
Salary: $70,000.00-$125,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Store discount
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Remote interview process
Personal protective equipment provided or required
Social distancing guidelines in place
Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Commission-based sales: 5 years (preferred)
- Sales management: 3 years (preferred)