City: Ottawa, ON
Job Term: Permanent Full-time (35 hours per week)
Union/Non: IAM Local 3011
The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada, a national union representing some 70,000 professionals and scientists throughout Canada. requires an Accountant for its National Office in Ottawa.
PIPSC/IPFPC is committed to building an inclusive workplace where diversity of thought – and of people – are recognized, valued, and considered essential to achieving our goals and objectives. We are making concerted efforts to foster a workforce that is representative of our diverse membership.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Under the direction of the Director, Finance, the Accountant prepares and analyzes financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements. This position ensures accuracy and compliance with accounting standards and regulatory requirements. They manage the general ledger, including journal entries, account reconciliations, and month-end/year-end closings and monitor and review transactions for accuracy and completeness. The Accountant participates in the development and monitoring of budgets and financial forecasts, including analyzing variances between actual results and budgeted/forecasted amounts, providing insights and recommendations
- Prepare and analyze financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements. Ensure accuracy and compliance with accounting standards and regulatory requirements.
- Manage the general ledger, including journal entries, account reconciliations, and month-end/year-end closings. Monitor and review transactions for accuracy and completeness.
- Participate in the development and monitoring of budgets and financial forecasts. Analyze variances between actual results and budgeted/forecasted amounts, providing insights and recommendations.
- Conduct financial analysis to identify trends, opportunities, and risks. Prepare financial reports, including variance analysis, profitability analysis, and cost analysis. Provide recommendations for improvement and cost-saving initiatives.
- Implement and maintain internal controls to ensure the integrity of financial transactions and compliance with PIPSC policies and procedures. Identify and address control deficiencies or weaknesses.
- Support internal and external audits by providing relevant financial documentation and explanations. Prepare audit schedules, gather supporting documentation, and address audit findings. Ensure compliance with accounting principles, standards, regulations and tax laws.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to finance colleagues.
- Identify opportunities for streamlining and automating accounting processes. Implement changes to enhance efficiency, accuracy, and productivity. Stay updated on industry best practices and accounting standards.
- Utilize accounting software and financial systems effectively. Ensure data accuracy, troubleshoot issues, and make recommendations for system enhancements or upgrades.
- Participate in the implementation and maintenance of accounting systems and software.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary teams assigned to special projects and work collaboratively with employees in other sections.
- May be requested to undertake other related duties on a periodic basis.
Experience, Education and Skills Required:
- Completion of a university degree in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent; and
- An accounting designation such as a CPA or CMA and is a member in good standing; and
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of experience as an accountant, preferably in a not-for-profit or charitable organization; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Fluency in both French and English is an asset
Skills and experience required:
- In-depth knowledge of accounting principles, regulations, and financial reporting standards (GAAP/IFRS)
- Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting practices and regulations, an asset
- Knowledge of accounting practices and procedures for a member-driven, dues based organization.
- Experience maintaining accurate and current financial records, including journal entries, ledgers and reconciliations.
- Experience conducting monthly, quarterly and annual financial analysis to identify trends, variances and opportunities for improvement.
- Experience preparing budgets, forecasts and financial reports.
- Experience providing recommendations based on sound financial analysis and reporting.
- Prior experience in process improvement and automation, within a unionized environment, is an asset
Technical knowledge and skills:
- Proficiency in accounting software and financial systems, such as Adagio
- Salary Range: $87,615 to $109,519 (G6)
- Group Benefits (Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance)
- Pension Plan
- Vacation (4 weeks/year) and other generous paid leave
How to apply:
a) You must apply by email to [email protected], by 4:00 pm (Est) September 27, 2023. ID competition # 23-81 in the subject line.
b) Please submit a cover letter and resume. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
c) If you require a disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us to provide your contact information. The Staffing team will contact you within 48 hours.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We encourage applications for this opportunity from Indigenous Peoples, women, people with accessibility needs, persons of all races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, psychologically safe, harassment-free, and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process.
If you need to be accommodated during any phase of this process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $87,615.00-$109,519.00 per year
- Company pension
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
- Do you have a CPA designation?
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- Accounting: 5 years (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Ottawa, ON K1G 3J8