Positions in Kitchener, ON
Two positions at our Kitchener, ON Office
- In response to COVID19, we’ve been operating in a blended virtual and in-office arrangement. We consider everyone’s situation based on their health, family obligations, the business needs and Government mandates for working from home.
- We're preparing for a hybrid model post-pandemic where you can spend up to half your time working from home, and the other half (or more if you prefer) working in the office. We have a proven track record of respecting individual needs for uninterrupted focus mixed with meaningful periods of collaboration. We believe this is the best strategy for continuing to build on our successes.
- When we’re in the office, we collaborate knowing that our surroundings are cleaned vigorously every day and there are spacious private cubicles to give us the physical distance to feel comfortable.
The Semiconductor industry is growing exponentially and we’re growing a team to keep up with our customers’ expanding needs for high tech manufacturing automation software. That team needs someone who can do the right things with their code, the customer, and their fellow developers. More junior team members will follow their example and customers will have faith in their capable hands. They have a seasoned grasp of implementing future-proof object oriented programming solutions. The challenges include multi-tiered architectures and multi-threading that are part in parcel with that scale of system.
Build on the success of an existing software platform in production today! Working as part of a project team, improving desktop applications for the Semiconductor High Tech industry, you will be involved in all phases of the software engineering process — from requirements gathering, functional specs and design to software development and system testing to travel to customer site (or remote support when more appropriate) for installation. End to end development is our business.
Have your hand in everything from the bottom to the top of the stack; our code talks to the hardware or external systems and handles business logic in C#, provides a pipe for our customers’ data collection, and tops it off with a desktop UI that visualizes whatever insights the manufacturer’s operators need to know in real-time on a factory floor. #ReallyFullStack
What’s the challenge?
Design for success
- Engage with customers and work with your team to capture requirements, design, develop, code using object-oriented design patterns, then integrate applications into customer systems.
- Dig into perplexing manufacturing automation challenges, quickly conceptualizing solutions that serve the right functionality in the right amount of time, every time.
- Create production quality desktop applications with C# and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) on .NET.
- Spot opportunities to optimize our existing and proposed solutions with better designs, coding practices, and techniques
- Assess the impact of proposed solutions across both the stack and external systems, then make any necessary tweaks to ensure a successful integration.
- Conscious of and dedicated to documenting ideas and communicating your design across teams so everyone is working towards the same goal.
Make sure it works
- Own the quality of the code you write, performing unit testing, supporting functional and integration testing on code and participating in tricky bug fixes.
- Set the tone for coding and documentation standards, championing best practices and helping others see the light.
- Be a customer hero, participating in installation and integration of software into the customer’s factory or tool automation systems.
- Troubleshoot issues reported from the customer site, employing all of your code sleuthing tactics to discover the root causes of the most obscure bugs.
Become an expert
- Learn and utilize PEER Group’s connectivity, automation, and testing products along with the Semiconductor automation software standards.
- Acquire domain knowledge deploying solutions with factory business systems.
- Effectively navigate and efficiently map undiscovered code-scapes, bringing calm order to the unstructured project areas that long for the clarity of mission that’s native to the seasoned developer.
- Drive a team to success in an Agile environment.
- Be a positive force in in sprint planning with the team and daily stand-ups.
- Collaborate with the customer development team to design solutions and resolve issues on site.
- Interact with customers, your team, management, and factory engineers.
- Balance the scales between owning your project deliverables, working with the customer’s team, and your PEER Group engineering team so that you foster teamwork that cultivates trusting relationships all-round.
- Work flexible hours or overtime as needed.
- Use excellent English communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with customers and teammates whether it’s face to face, on a video call, phone call or email.
- Typically, travel to customer sites within North America, Asia and Europe are part of this position. Current travel is curtailed by COVID restrictions, international travel rules, customer policies and PEER’s employee safety policies. We continually review the pandemic circumstances. The safety of our employees and customers, and public health is very important to us.
What do you need to bring with you?
- Post-secondary education in a technical field (Bachelor of Computer Science, Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Software Programming Diploma, or similar).
- Three to four-year undergraduate degree and diploma programs are preferred.
- Co-op programs with applicable software development work terms are an added bonus and can be considered as part of your work experience in the section below.
- 4 – 7 solid years of working experience in software design and demonstrated ability to learn new technologies.
- Object-oriented programming expert with C# on .NET, or capable of making the short leap from Java.
- Proven experience with designing and deploying production code for line of business or ERP applications – you know the in’s and out’s of multi-tier architecture complexity and love it!
- Track record of solving asynchronous threading or advanced scheduling problems.
- Honing time estimation process proven by a record of delivering code on time, on or before critical customer or product release dates.
- Easy command of Azure DevOps Server, Git, Team Foundation Version Control (TFVC), SVN or other version control and application lifecycle management software.
- Mentoring team members to influence their growth into high performing professionals.
- Firm handle on data structures and data manipulation.
- Mechanical aptitude to work on solutions that serve hardware, including robots.
- Familiarity with scripting languages – or the ability to pick it up as needed.
- Bonus points for: WCF or web services, MVVM, WPF, special knowledge of discrete automation with robots, writing device drivers, or working with manufacturing execution systems (MES).
Talent is universal, skills aren’t the whole picture.
- We realize that not every business uses the same technology – we understand that skills are transferrable. If you don’t have depth of experience with the exact tech we listed but you’re a powerhouse with something similar, tell us about it! You’ll be considered.
- Submit your resume, cover letter, and transcripts.
Secret Sauce? You're a problem solver. You have this amazing ability to figure out technology puzzles and get things to work. The technology in this space changes quickly and you’re able to pick up new knowledge and assimilate it into what you already know in a way that gives you an edge. When you have a tricky problem in your head, it doesn’t leave you until it’s solved.
You’re a mentor
While some dev’s might prefer life safely tucked out of sight, you’re humbly present in the mix, wherever the software takes you. You encourage listening and sharing because that’s how you find the best ideas, wherever they may be or whoever might have them, and you know that a little bit of your time could help someone else reach their next level. Team success is your end game.
You like the excitement of being part of something new and that’s exactly how Engineering Services works. Customer asks for a deliverable. We design, develop, test, integrate, and then we’re onto the next! You love the fast ramp up and the variety that customer problems offer.
What to expect when you apply
- Submit your application via our online form
- Complete our pre-screen document by email
- One or two interviews
- Receive and accept an employment offer!
About PEER Group
PEER Group is headquartered in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, with an office in Dresden, Germany. A privately-held company, PEER Group currently employs over 200 people worldwide.
Smart Manufacturing starts with factory automation software
PEER Group® provides the largest portfolio of factory automation software products and services to high-volume manufacturers and equipment makers in the semiconductor, photovoltaics (PV), and electronics industries. We help lower the cost of automation for our customers by solving their most challenging equipment automation, data management, and process control problems.
As a group, we are focused on creating customer success while working in a supportive atmosphere filled with challenges, fun and food. Our workstations were created for ergonomic comfort with cube walls for times when we have to concentrate and huge whiteboards for when we need to collaborate. We like profit sharing and full disclosure Communications Meetings. We recognize the great people we grow by promoting from within.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made on the basis of ability, qualifications, and performance. We welcome inquiries from everyone and celebrate diversity in our workplace. We embrace our differences in age, ancestry, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, family status, marital status, disability, record of offences, sex, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation.
If you require accommodation in completing the application process please call HR at 519 749 9554. If you are contacted regarding this position, please advise HR of accommodation measures you may require during our interview process. Of course, we will address these matters with respect and confidentiality.
No agencies please.
Job Type: Full-time
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Profit sharing
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Work from home
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Designed for privacy, our cubicles distance people safely. Flexible work from home arrangements, in-office PPE, health check forms, and a variety of other safety measures make PEER a safe environment for all to work in.
- C# or Java desktop application development work: 3 years (Required)
- Kitchener, ON (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place