The John Howard Society Pacific (JHS) is a non-profit organization which provides the opportunity to work with purpose, and impact change in your community. We are a dynamic, innovative social service organization that strives to create safe, healthy, and inclusive communities for all. We do this through a continuum of programs which provide assistance with housing, life-skills, education, employment, and community-based services, with the goal of helping individuals achieve greater independence.
To learn more, visit www.jhspacific.ca
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO CANDIDATES
As an essential service provider in a challenging and unprecedented time, we are proud to continue recruiting amazing candidates to help us meet the needs of the vulnerable people we serve. As we transition our recruitment processes in response to COVID-19, please bear with us as we work to ensure that all parties involved in the process stay safe. This means that there may be delays in following up with shortlisted candidates, and in the recruitment process overall, however we are committed to moving our recruitment processes forward wherever possible to welcome new members to our team.
The Residence Worker provides casework support to residents with developmental disabilities, concurrent disorders, substance misuse, spectrum disorders and/or criminal justice involvement under the care of Community Living British Columbia (CLBC). The worker will assist in enhancing individual's quality of life, ensuring the safe and orderly operation of the facility, and maintaining the goals of the counseling and/or rehabilitative programs.
- Provides input to the Program Manager and/or other staff with regard to the development of appropriate care plans to achieve the resident’s objectives.
- When assigned, participates in social, recreational, employment, educational and other programs as appropriate to assist the resident’s case/care plan.
- Ensures residents are in compliance with the terms of their residency and are aware of the rules of the facility.
- Provides emotional support and feedback to residents and their families.
- Acts as a positive role model for clients, providing life skills training and behaviour management as appropriate.
- Other duties may be assigned from time to time.
- Graduated with a Degree or Diploma with one year related mental health experience
- Experience in the appropriate field and demonstrate a clear ability to respond will in crisis situations
- A clear understanding of Psycho Social Rehabilitation applications
- An understanding of providing service to people with different learning abilities
- Demonstrated experience in an applicable residential setting
- Demonstrated a good working knowledge of the technical details important to the functioning of group residences
- Experience with clients with a history of conflict with the law, developmental disabilities and/or spectrum disorders, interaction with social agencies and experiencing psychiatric/personality disorders
- An awareness of Community Living of British Columbia (the contractor) concerns, laws, and policies related to the specific residence program
- Demonstrated the ability to teach skills and work effectively with others
- Knowledge of theory, principles, and practices in the fields related to the particular residence
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- A strong desire to work as part of the facility and the JHS staff team
- Ability to successfully complete a Criminal Records Check
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Personal transportation that is in good repair, insured for business up to $1,000,000 for liability, and which can be used to transport residents
- Legally entitled to work in Canada, including by reason that you are a Canadian citizen,a permanent resident of Canada, or possess a current government-issued work permit.
WHAT WE OFFER?
- Committed Living Wage Employer
- Opportunity to work with purpose for nonprofit organization
- Great work environment
- Competitive benefits
- Chance to grow in a diverse range of programs
- Internal training and development opportunities
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Salary: $23.84 per hour
- Mental Health: 1 year (required)