Casual Recreation Coordinator
Since 1967, Craigwiel Gardens is independently owned by Craigwiel Corporation, governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. It is a not for profit, Charitable organization. We are a community committed to providing residential and community services that enhance the lives and potential of each person we engage. Our Vision, People, Community and Quality of Life.
We are currently looking for a team-oriented casual Recreation Coordinator to join our Craigwiel Gardens Long-Term Care Home family in Ailsa Craig, Ontario.
Reporting to the Director of Community, Recreation and Leisure Services, assists in developing, coordinating, and implementing, programs, special events and volunteer services in accordance with established standards, policies, and procedures. Leads residents’ recreational and physical activity programs, provides stimulating activities to individuals on a one to one basis or in a small group. Reports on resident participation, changes or progress and any additional information pertaining to the implementation of programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures the daily program/activity schedule is carried out in accordance with the administrative policies, physician, and nursing orders, established standards and legislated requirements.
- Prepares program plans, program supply budgets and purchases supplies.
- Evaluates programs and completes necessary documentation and reports.
- Leads programs, group activities and visits with residents on a one-to-one basis or in a small group as directed by the Program/Volunteer Services Manager.
- Promotes and assists with physical activities to support optimal functional ability of residents.
- Assists with restorative care activities or exercises under the direction of the Physiotherapist or as documented in the Physiotherapy assessment or plan.
- Accompanies residents on excursions out of the facility, ensuring required medical information and supplies accompany the resident and other procedures are followed for resident safety.
- Documents program results and observations in the residents’ care plans, as appropriate.
- Promotes a positive team spirit within the department and the facility.
- Works as part of a multi-disciplinary team to maintain a spiritual and psychosocial environment, which meets the needs of the resident.
- Provides information to other staff, residents or family members relating to programs and activities.
- Participates in the required in-service sessions.
- Participates in facility/department meetings as appropriate.
- Recognizes safety hazards and takes appropriate action. Adheres to established facility policies and procedures including safety rules and safe working practices.
- Assists with coordinating special events and seasonal decorating.
- Ensures all interaction with residents complies with the Residents Bill of Rights and respects and promotes it.
- Identifies ways to improve service delivery.
- Responsible for proper care of equipment used to provide services.
- Participates in organized fire drills and safety measures for all personnel.
- Maintains a good attendance record according to the facility policy.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
A recognized diploma/degree from a community college/university relating to recreation and/or gerontology. Demonstrated leadership abilities with comprehensive knowledge of activation and health care practices as related to long term care. Two years’ experience working with the elderly or disabled adults in an activation role. Member of the Therapeutic Recreation Ontario and/or Activity Professionals of Ontario.
Must possess current CPR and First Aid, a Safe Food Handling and Smart Serve certificate.
Must possess a valid driver’s license and be eligible to be insured under the corporate liability insurance policy.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Salary: From $20.73 per hour
- Monday to Friday